PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PC wont quite power up

Hey everybody, Just brought a new power supply because the old one wasnt grunty enough for the new motherboard. I installed it, but when I turned it on, it started for about half a second and then turned off. The fan on the cpu and power supply flickerd but then died. The other times I turned it on it did nothing, not even flickered.

I have tried remounting the video card/memory and disconnected all other drives etc, but no luck.

Please help me!! Happy

My system specs are:
AMD Sempron 2800+ Socket 462
Soltek SL-75FRN2-L MB
1 GB RAM
256MB video card
430W PSU
WinXP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC wont quite power up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC wont quite power up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did the old PSU do the same

In reply to: PC wont quite power up

thing? If not You might try it again to see if will power up the computer.If the old behaved the same way you will need to be looking for another problem.

Collapse -
PSU works

In reply to: Did the old PSU do the same

Yeah tried the old PSU and still no power.
Although I just tested the new PSU by shorting the green and black connections and the fans turned on, so I guess the PSU isnt stuffed. Makes me wonder if the motherboard is faulty. I'll be gutted if it is cause I just brought it! Sad

Is there anyway to test ya motherboard without borrowing another one?

Collapse -
ESD

In reply to: PC wont quite power up

assuming that when you tried it afterwards and not even a flicker from the CPU fan, im wondering if you took steps to protect your new board and other components from electrostatic discharge, such as wearing a antistatic wristband or similar, have you tried settn the system up with only what you need to boot up leaving everything else unplugged and is successful, repeat the process plugging one thing in at a time to determine the problem device

Collapse -
No ESD

In reply to: ESD

When I changed everything over I did use a anti-static wrist strap, so pretty sure it wouldnt be that. Tried setting it up without anything in it, but still nothing.

Would it be possible that the old PSU might have taken either the CPU or Motherboard out when it crapped out?
My flatmate was using it when it stopped working and she said smoke came out from the back of it, but that could have been the PSU for all I know.

Collapse -
happened to me

In reply to: No ESD

I forgot to plug in the second power cord to the motherboard. I know it sounds dumb but make sure you plugged all the power cords in. If the mb doesnt have that second power source for the cpu, the symptoms are very similar to a dead mb and proc.

Collapse -
not missing plug

In reply to: happened to me

I did that exact thing when I first got the new Motherboard. Took me ages to figure it out!
But I remember to do that now, so its not that unfornunatly.

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: No ESD

smoke came out of the back?! if i were you id be pretty annoyed with that flat mate...you should probably open it up to look for any damages...see if it was the PSU or not

Collapse -
checked it

In reply to: hmm

Yeah I was pretty pissed with her! I've taken everything apart, taken it all out of the case and checked it for visual damage but couldnt see anything.
I would asume it was the old PSU that made the smoke since it doesnt go anymore.

Is there anyway of testing the motherboard with a multimeter??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.