General discussion

PC won`t turn on

Hi, I got this pc from a friend he say it did not work, I plug it in and nothing, I checked the conections of the case to the mobo, and they seem to be correct, I think the PSU works because there is a ligth on the mobo, that is the only think that works, a little ligth on the mobo.
The pc is a Dell
celeron 600 mhz
192 mb of ram
any idea, what could be wrong?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: PC won`t turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC won`t turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: PC won't boot

Arred,

Better have a look in the motherboard manual (which you probably didn't get, so contact Dell tech support) what this little light is trying to tell you.

I recently had exactly the same problem on my 4 year old custom build PC. It turned out to have 4 red or green ligths, and any combination meant an error in a certain phase of the boot process. However, I forgot to look in the manual myself, brought it to a repair shop and ended up with a new motherboard/CPU/memory/power supply combination. To finish it off I had a new videocard installed, and a DVD-reader, so now I have a practically new computer in the old case, for practically the same price as a totally new one. I sold my old memory sticks (192 Mb SDRAM) in less than a day via Internet, but that didn't make up for the costs at all.

I had hoped that I wouldn't have to do a fresh install of Windows, but I had to do so to get the sound on my new motherboard working.

Depending on your needs and the exact diagnosis, the best thing to do might be to salvage things still useful and throw away most of that old PC.

Kees

- Collapse -
use Forum search at top for "pc won't turn on"

or other word combos. Been answered a lot. Could be many things. Try unplugging Hdd, floppy, CDrom, take out all add-in cards except video (onboard). Try 1 stick of ram at a time. Hardware is probably the problem. I've seen any of these components be bad and cause the mobo to prevent bootup even to BIOS screen. If still no go, see what a shop will charge for an estimate-looksee. Power supply may still be an issue as green light on front of case should light up to show power on, and fan should be running. Processor fan should be running. Bad dust buildup in power supply and/or processor fan-heatsink may show heat caused failure.

CNET Forums

Forum Info