PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PC won't start when I hook up the video card.

by <>Michael<> / October 24, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

The other day I took out my card to put on some thermal gel (I had been having heat problems) and when I put the card back in, hooked it up, and turned the computer on, it booted up to the desktop, and then shut off. I made sure I hooked everything back up correctly, and tried again, and it came on for about half a second, and shut off again. I unhooked the cable going to the card (left it in the slot though) and turned it on, and had no problems. I turned the computer back off, hooked the card back up, and again it came on for no longer than half a second and shut off again. Thinking the PSU was my problem, I bought a new one, which I got today, hooked it all up with the same result. So, what could be my problem? Is the video card shot?
System:
Athlon 64 3400+
Geforce 6600 GT
XG Vigor 500 watt PSU

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC won't start when I hook up the video card.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC won't start when I hook up the video card.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my card to put on some thermal gel ??????
by jcrobso / October 26, 2005 6:00 AM PDT

Where did you put this???? On what part of the card???

Collapse -
Well...
by jackintucson / October 26, 2005 6:10 AM PDT

I don't think the compound was done correctly. You must first take all the old stuff off and then apply the new. Try again. But you'd better get it right quick or you'll fry the processor -> motherboard ->....get the picture? BTW..Compound (if done correctly) should last for a few years.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Well...
by <>Michael<> / October 26, 2005 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

I did it correctly, took off the old compound before applying the new. I am sending the card back to the manufacturer (sp?) in the morning, and if that doesn't work I will find someone that knows what they are doing better than me. lol

Collapse -
same prbs
by radneo / October 26, 2005 6:10 AM PDT

hello,

I have the same problems. I hooked up the new gc, hade to connect a powercable to it first though, used the one connected to the harddrive on the second plug. Pc started but never saw any picture. Disconnected the cabel and pc started no probs. Now I get this warning messgae that my gc has no power to use all its functions properly....what power suppply do i need?

Amd 2,Ghz 3000+
XFX GeForce 6600GT

don't know my power supply ratings, how can i check that?

thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A bigger one...500w
by jackintucson / October 26, 2005 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: same prbs
Collapse -
RE: PS Rating
by krazyken44 / October 26, 2005 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: same prbs

Look on the power supply there should be a sticker on the side. If it's 300-350watt you may need a new one. These new cards are power hogs...
Also there is a new power spec called ATX 2.0 The new motherboards & some video cards need this, so look out!

Collapse -
oojj
by radneo / October 26, 2005 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: PS Rating

ohhhh
mine only says 200w, can I just get a new one with more power? i mean like are they all the same, as in connecting them to the motherboards, eg unversial...sorry im computer illiterate..thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) wow i'm surprised it could even boot up all and stay on
by nerdyboy1234 / October 26, 2005 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: oojj
Collapse -
fixed
by radneo / October 27, 2005 7:39 AM PDT

went to the pc store today, purchased a 500w psu, and all is working a treat. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's great news....another satisfied customer!!!
by jackintucson / October 28, 2005 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: fixed
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?