AMD 2200
Asus MB A7V333 (I think)
1 Gig PC 2700 DDR
120 Gig WD HD (primary)
80 Gig IBM (secondary)
DVD rom (Primary)
DVR-R/DVD+R Burner
MSI GEforce MX400

For some reason or the other while I was using my PC last night, it automatically rebooted, my PC It started without a hitch. As I acess the Windows Explorer, it crashed and rebooted but this time, I did not see the systems check at all nor did I see the power LED go on. The system did not do a boot up sequence at all (did not check drives nor am I able to open the DVD drive) The CPU LED is the only thing running. The Chassis Fan and CPU fan are both running but nothing more. I suspect there is no power being channelled to my motherboard at all or maybe i have a bad memory.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts I can gather from this group.

Regards and thank you in advance
Noel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC won't start nor boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC won't start nor boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:PC won't start nor boot
by jconner / April 6, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

If the CPU fan is running and one or more LEDs ar lit, then you are getting some power to the Mobo. However it does sound like you lost the Supply since the drives are not powering up. I would certainly replace the P/S first.I would go larger than what you probably have given the amount of stuff you are driving. 450 to 500 good quality.

Collapse -
Re:PC won't start nor boot
by JMarchi / April 7, 2004 12:42 AM PDT

Had a similar problem occur last week. When there is some power coming to the motherboard (some lights on)then it usually eliminates the power supply as the culprit.

In the case last week I tried a different power supply and it didn't work. Then I removed all cards from the system and the memory and the processor. Then put back memory, video, processor, and the system came up. Put Network card back in, system dead. Pulled network card...dead reseated memory and system came up. Put in different network card and system ran fine.

This was just one case, but it goes to show that almost any component can cause problems like you describe.

Collapse -
Re:Re:PC won't start nor boot
by noel83d / April 7, 2004 2:55 AM PDT

I did that too, removed the memory and installed one at a time to test if the memory was shut but still the system did not boot.

Also, I removed all the EIDE connections, memory, floppy, and modem as you describe and left the video card so that can view whether there was activity when I turned on the power. I turned on the power and unfortunately, there was no beep or error message displayed at all.

Maybe it's the motherboard or CPU. The Power Supply seems to be working fine as my chassis, CPU fans are working just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your advises.

Collapse -
PC won't start nor boot
by hpc / April 7, 2004 7:13 AM PDT

Hi
Try changing the battery .
Hope it help.
hpc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?