Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC Won't Go to Post

by Bill514 / December 28, 2008 10:15 PM PST

I'm not sure what I did to tne Bios settings but now the PC won't go to post and I can't get back to th Bios settings. The monitor won't even display anything anymore. HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Won't Go to Post
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Won't Go to Post
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: BIOS settings
by Kees Bakker / December 28, 2008 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: PC Won't Go to Post

You'll need to enter the BIOS settings to be able to choose default settings. So that's a problem if you can't.
All you can do: find out how to reset the BIOS hardware-wise. That could be a jumper on the motherboard. Or disconnect from the net and remove the battery for a minute.

Still, it's not clear from your post why you entered the BIOS to start with, and why you think that invalid BIOS-settings are the cause of your current problems. After all, even a badly configured BIOS should put it's name and version on the monitor before doing anything.
For me, this could just as well be broken hardware. Do you hear any beeps? Some beep patterns point to well-defined errors (like: no working RAM found).

Collapse -
PC Won't Boot or go to Post
by Bill514 / December 28, 2008 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Re: BIOS settings

I was originally installing a new Western Digital HD. When I ran the Lifegaurd setup CD it said that my Bios was off and needed to be set to auto so I went to Bios settings I didn't see any auto or off setting. I must have either disabled or enabled something I wasn't supposed too because ever since then I'm not getting any beeps or nothing. From all the other sugesstions I'm getting it sounds like I have to remove the battery so it can reset.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / December 28, 2008 11:13 PM PST

Definitely worth a try. Although not sure to help.

But there's a detail wrong with your story. The BIOS can't be off or on or auto. Only properties of the BIOS can be set (for example to on or off or auto). So you must have misunderstood the message.
In the future, when doing something in the BIOS (or, for that matter, in Windows also), be sure you read the instructins carefully and execute them carefully.
It won't harm at all to make a hardcopy of them before doing it, or making a note of the old settings before you change them so you can easily go back if it needs.

Collapse -
Check your MB manual under BIOS setup
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2008 2:34 AM PST

under "Standard CMOS" ...... set all drives to "AUTO"

under "Integrated Peripherals" make sure the applicable drive controllers are "Enabled" or

OnBoard IDE ..................Both
IDE1 Conductor Cable .........Auto
IDE2 Conductor Cable .........Auto
OnBoard FDC ..................Auto

The locations and descriptions of BIOS features vary by mfg so check your MB manual for specifics pertaining to your PC.

Collapse -
Bios Setup
by Bill514 / December 29, 2008 8:32 PM PST

OK.... I re-set the Bios and now able to enter setup except for a couple things. Now it won't recognize the HD. I've disconnected all the other peripherials. At times it will detect the HD than when I re-connect everything and run setup the HD disappears Whats up with this? If I'm lucky and able to detect the new HD and run the Data Lifegaurd CD that came with the HD and as it's running I noticed it said Bios was off. My MD is a Biostar K8VGA-M, CPU is an AMD, socket 754 and chipset VIA K8M800. When I'm in setup I can't detirmine where it says Bios is off. Everything is enabled or in auto that i think should be.

Collapse -
While you've got the box open...I'd put in a new CMOS
by VAPCMD / December 30, 2008 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Bios Setup

battery .... usually a CR2032.

Have you got a spare drive cable to make sure that's not an issue ?

By the way....what new drive (IDE, SATA) are you trying to install ?

Collapse -
I don't see where you indicated ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 30, 2008 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Bios Setup

whether your new drive is IDE or SATA.

IF it is IDE you have to be sure you properly set the jumpers remembering that if another device is on the same data cable only one can be master.

If the Motherboard has both IDE and SATA connections you may have to read the motherboard manual to see whether RAID has to be set in order for the SATA drive to be bootable IF the new drive isw SATA.

You are leaving out a lot of necessary information, and while we could look up a Biostar K8VGA-M we shouldn't have to as you should already have the manual which explains the BIOS setup.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?