Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC won't boot

by fadetowhite24 / February 23, 2007 12:51 AM PST

I am having a problem. I just bought components to build a new computer and I put it all together but it will not boot up. There is power going to the motherboard, I know, and to the video card, hard drive, and all the fans in the case. However there is no power to the keyboard, mouse, and CD/DVD Rom drive. I checked all the conections and they seem to be fine. If anyone could help me out with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC won't boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What kind of keyboard/mouse?
by jackson dougless / February 23, 2007 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: PC won't boot

If they're USB, then you probably connected the USB wires incorrectly. If they're PS/2, then you may have a bad motherboard.

Collapse -
RE:What kind of keyboard/mouse?
by fadetowhite24 / February 23, 2007 3:13 PM PST

It's a PS/2 keyboard but a USB mouse. Do you think the motherboard would be bad if the fans on it work and the video card is active as well? Reading in other posts, it seems it has something to do with my CPU. I can't even get BIOS to run to check it out though. I also do not get any beep codes. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Basic question, not trying to be a wise guy.
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2007 10:09 PM PST

Do you have the 4 pin 12 volt connector plugged in?? Do you have a 20 or 24 pin power connector on the mobo, and the correct one plugged in?? [There are adapters to make a 20 pin to a 24 pin and vice cersa.

Collapse -
Also, if worse comes to worse
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2007 10:15 PM PST

pull the mobo out and put it on a piece of cardboard and run it from there to eliminate any chance that the mobo was shorting some artwork from an incorrect installation.

You do not need any drives etc to get into the BIOS [of course you do need a keyboard].

You do not need the front panel connections to turn it on. Simply take a small [metal] slot screwdriver and momentarily short the two mobo pins for the power switch together.

Collapse -
Re: Worst
by fadetowhite24 / February 24, 2007 12:28 AM PST

Ok. All the power connectors are in their right positions. I took the mobo out of the case and tried it like you said but still nothing. No beeps, no display on the screen, but the CPU, mobo, and Video fans are all running. I'm getting worried that I fried my proc somehow. What do you think?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.