Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC will not turn on

by tim6298 / October 19, 2006 8:47 AM PDT

My PC will not turn on (Inspiron (SP?) 8500). Called Dell and after going by the components one by one he stated its more likely the memory chip needs to be replace. How much sense does this make? I kinda just want to get a second opinion. I had some people state it could be the power supply or the motherboard. I know I had a lot of spyware etc. I was trying to get rid of when this happened. BTW if the PC does boot up after a couple of minutes it freezes. Whats my best course of action? I have a memory chip on its way, so hopefully that fixes it. Just seemed weird that that would cause my PC not to boot up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC will not turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC will not turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Saw something similar once
by jackson dougless / October 19, 2006 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: PC will not turn on

Laptop would boot up once, then shut off mid-boot. Then wouldn't turn back on again for several minutes. Turned out to be a bad battery.

I'm a bit dubious of the bad memory chip diagnosis, but if you're getting a free replacement from Dell, it's at least worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you could probably sell the extra on ebay if Dell doesn't want you to send back the allegedly bad one.

Collapse -
RE: Saw something similar once
by tim6298 / October 19, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

FREE? I wish, warranty expired, I took a shot replacing the memory since they will take the return if that doesnt work. I would just replace the PC but so much is on it that I could use.

Collapse -
There are a lot of things that can cause this
by Dogmancar / October 22, 2006 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: PC will not turn on

I would recommend removing the case cover first.
Attempt to boot it up if yo see the fan coming on al the time then the PSU(power supply is ok) if not either the PSU is bad or the mobo or both. IF you get the fan to come on all the time then its not the PSU. 3 Main things will cause freezing Ram cuz thats where things get loaded to. Hard drive thats wheres things get laod from and saved to. Also you could hav a heating issue this will be caused by bad air cirulation, dirt on the heatsink or your thermal paste between heat sink and CPU is wearing out. Check your mobo for ascended capacitors too. They look like small batterys sticking out of the mobo if the ends are buldging out or you see gunk coming out of them your mobo is going bad and look at the larger black chips one will be down to the right of your PCI slots (white) if it has a wet look to it (or just small areas) that is heat damage. Very unlikely but still possible you might just have a broken switch, pull off the face of your computer and check for broken plastic on the switch or if there is a circuit board there that could be going bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?