PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Pc Will not start

by natscape / April 11, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

I have aquired a pc, quite basic but in very good nick, about 2-3 years old, but it will not boot up.
I currently have it open and when i try to boot up, the power supply fan, and main fan spin for 2-3 seconds, on the main board is a yellow led which activates for the same duration.
Any ideas!!!!

Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc Will not start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc Will not start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In very good nick???????/
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Pc Will not start

Tell us a little more about thetype of computer, the type of CPU, amount of memory, type of memory.

The quick shutdown could be a CPU overheating fast, a bad Power supply, or possibly other things.

Is it an ATX type system??? Normally in ATX types the LED on the mobo indicated that the 5 volt standby power is present on the mobo. That voltage is ALWAYS there as long as the power supply is plugged into a live outlet and the switch on the rear of the power supply is ON. That power is always there whether you turn the computer off by windows or the front powewr switch.

Any other fans or lights to report about??

Collapse -
Pc will not start
by natscape / April 11, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

Sorry, it is actually older than i thourght, but it is only for an 11 year old starter, please be paitent, i am a pc virgin, ha ha.
Here goes.

Club 70/H, intel celeron 466
Intel 810-L (100 Mhz)
64 meg ram dyna shared with graphics (dvmt)
8.4 gig HD
On win 98 2nd ed.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Collapse -
Well, it's newer than this one.LOL
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Pc will not start

Mine is only 333 on a 66 MHz bus.

Did it ever work when you had it??? Have you added anything to it. Why is it open? [We humans sometimes have a way screwing things up even with good intentions].

That model/speed CPU were not very hot running, some ran with a heat sink and no fan.

Probably doesn't require much of a power supply. Do you have another supply to try?

No need to install it. Just set it on the bench [table] plug the PS cable into the mobo and plug the supply into a hot outlet. Do NOT have the old supply powered up. No need, but to be safe unplug the signal cable from the hard drive and floppy. Nothing else should receive any voltage.

This is just to see if the system comes up and the supply and fans keep running. If it does, just buy a new supply, maybe one with a 50 watt or so rating than the one you have.

Collapse -
Oh well,
by natscape / April 11, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

My bro give it to me to try and fix, Yes it was working before we got it cos the guy took all his persnal stuff off it while he was there.
Nothing has been added or taken away, are kid tried to set it up first, he stated that the monitor would power up but the tower would not, it was on a twin power supply.
I opened it up to see what happened, to a smell of burnt plastic, i replaced this to an identical a previous project of mine.
The old supply was knackered, looked and smelt burnt out.
I connected the new supply and looked what happened, the Power suppy fan and the processor fan spun for a couple of seconds then stopped, i thorght it might have been the switch, i replaced this also to no avail.
As mentioned, the l.e.d light came on as well, ive not got a clue!
Definatly not the power supply, ive tried another 2 since, same results.

Very lost!

Collapse -
I have no idea what you mean by the
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh well,

tower and the monitor being on a twin power supply.

Are you certain that the power supplies that you are trying have enough capacity to power the sytem?

When trying the other supplies, are you only powering the mobo with CPU/HSF and memory???? Forget having anything else connected. Trying to find out if possibly there is a short on the mobo that causes the overcurrent circuitry in the power supply to cause the supplies to shut down.

It should power up with only those items, no keyboard or mouse, either.

Collapse -
By the tower and monitor i mean...
by natscape / April 11, 2005 8:39 PM PDT

When the full set up was connected originally, i.e, monitor, tower keyboard etc, etc, the whole thing powered up, the monitor light powers up but no action on the screen, i.e, win 98 logo or such activity, the tower light does not come on either which suggest power is running through the whole system in order for the monitor to turn on.
Now when i opened it, i could smell the distinct :Burn out: smell, later on i discovered that the power supply was faulty, it sparked and spitted, i replaced the supply with an identical one to which the discussed topic happens, i.e, fans spins briefly the stops.

Collapse -
A very good chance that the Power Supply
by Ray Harinec / April 12, 2005 7:08 AM PDT

took out some other components when it failed. finding which one may be a rather complex procedure and cost more than buying another old computer that is working when you get it and with a 30 or 90 day warranty.

A note, the Monitor does NOT get its power from the tower. The monitor has its own power supply] in it and they are powered from the AC Plug. The video card in the Tower provides a video signal to put on the monitor screen, but it is not a source of power.

You might want to inspect the large capacitors in the area of the CPU for signs of bulging or leaking. If there are any such, it is time to replace the mobo.

Collapse -
old pc
by ddbpack / August 30, 2005 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Pc will not start

a pc that old is not woreth having lety alone fixing! get a new one/ but if u still want to fix it , check switch on back of pc! that also cuts the power! and of course check plu on both ends to maker sure they are plugged in

Collapse -
Double Check
by nworley / April 12, 2005 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Pc Will not start

Check to be sure that you put the battery back in correctly. Those button batteries need to go in with the positive + side up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.