Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.

by Harv / April 24, 2004 6:20 PM PDT

I updated AVG (free version) on my sister's pc on April 21, as she had not done so since April 15. When I ran a virus scan, after the virus updates were installed, the scan stopped before completion and a blue screen popped up showing a fatal error on O/E, which was not even open. I wrote down the error, but my sister threw my note away. Her pc also started having problems restarting---it won't boot into Windows. The screen stays frozen at the Compaq logo.

O/S is WinSE98 running on a Compaq PC X20. 750 MHz.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.

the simplest way to a possible change would be to COMPLETELY uninstall AVG inclusive of regedit and search with the words Grisoft and AVG to clear all traces of AVG and then a brand new install.
please ensure your sister notes the Serial number as this will negate the neccessity of going to OE to obtain a new serial number.
once the install is done and definitions updated run a full scan.
in the alternative she can go to
http://www.ravantivirus.com
click on the free on line scan on the left side of the page and run it to ensure she is clean before the AVG install.
david williams

Collapse -
Can you access the

Startup/setup portion of the BIOS?? ( at boot hold down F2-or sometimes the DEL key) If so- go thru setup and see if you can set options top be sure floppy drive is first-then use a boot floppy made on another computer ( if another 98 computer is avail make a full boot floppy-if XP choose format the floppy and check the " Create MS-Dos startup disk" box) then reboot with floppy in drive-if it won't boot from the floppy -still halts at the Compaq logo-try disconnecting all the CD drives-Hard drives and try again. if still no boot-something has gone south-memory, cpu, or MB.

Collapse -
Re:PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 26, 2004 4:08 AM PDT

Harv,

Just a thought here....Can you restart the computer into "Safe Mode"? And how much e-mail does your sister have stored in Outlook Express? If she doesn't have a lot of mail, and if the machines will boot into "Safe Mode", start by running a full system scan in "Safe Mode". If the scan still hangs on Outlook Express, there are a number of error messages that involve corrupted .dbx files, such as the "Inbox.dbx" file. Deleting that file, then restarting the computer will recreate a new, "Inbox.dbx" file. Of course, anything in the "Inbox" will be deleted, but it might be worth a try. Sometimes simply uninstalling Outlook Express, then reinstalling will fix the error.

I'm not sure about free AVG, but if there is e-mail scanning, have you tried disabling it?

It would sure help if we knew the EXACT error in Outlook Express and which version she has installed. Internet Explorer and OE 5.5 SP2 or 6 SP1?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.

Thanks for your advice, David. My sister has too much mail in her Inbox, and it would be tragic for her, if the problem involves the Inbox.dbx file. I'll do an AVG virus scan in Safe Mode first, before attempting to uninstall AVG and the registry items associated with it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:PC will not restart after d/ling several AVG updates after 4/15/04.

Didn't mean to leave anyone out. Thank you to everyone for their helpful advice regarding my sister's pc problem. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!