The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

PC VS. MAC ?

I AM PLANNING TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP. I AM LOOKING FOR A LAPTOP THAT HAS A EASY INTERFACE AND ABLE TO STORE ALL MUSIC. WHAT WOULD BE BETTER A PC OR A MAC.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC VS. MAC ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC VS. MAC ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ah....

In reply to: PC VS. MAC ?

Its a very vauge question, but if you have an ipod or plan on getting one, Mac is the best way to go.

I also prefer itunes & Mac over Windows Media Player & Windows, but it is a personal preferance thing...

Collapse -
I say...

Like I tell everyone who asks me that question, like the other person before me. It is purely based on your tastes...except, when it comes to power.

If you are wanting a computer that looks REALLY nice and has a REALLY nice & clean & secure operating system go with a Windows based machine. (Ok, joking). Go with an Apple. They have really awesome looking hardware and their operating system is much more secure than Windows. You also won't have to worry as much about spyware, viruses, like you would with a Windows machine.

In MY opinion though, I think that a PC has more power. If you are wanting something with a really powerful processor (AMD 64 bit), lots of memory, and something that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, go with a PC/Windows machine. However, that is only MY opinion and I'm sure (I know) others would disagree.

If security is your concern on a PC, install Linux when it arrives.

Something else, lets say you have $2,000 to spend. Go to the Apple store & configure the base model. Then, go to HP.com and pick out one of those systems and configure it. You will get a LOT more if you choose the HP machine.

Collapse -
Pick the one...

... that has a working Caps Lock button.

Collapse -
Test drive both

Go to an Apple store, play around with the Powerbooks they have in stock. If you like what you see, feel, hear, imagine it twice as fast and buy the new MacBooks when they ship next month.

Also go to Best Buy and take a look at the PC laptops and see if anything there compares to your experience with the Mac laptops. If it does, buy it.

Quite honestly, most people don't need sick amounts of power in their laptop. I have sick amounts of power in my desktop, and I have a 5 year old Mac Titanium that has a tenth of the power of the new MacBooks and it suits me just fine for writing, e-mail, surfing, itunes, iphoto, imovie, watching DVDs, etc. In fact, if you go with a MacBook, be smarter and buy the one with the slower processor and save yourself $500.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Cnet

CNET has a lot of good videos & reviews about laptops that they test, just go to CNET.com and click on either link at the top. I enjoy watching the videos and drooling over the gadgets I can't have Sad

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.