Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC virtual memory too low

by stensou / January 12, 2010 2:49 AM PST

My PC runs very slow and I get an occaisonal pop-up that says "Virtual Memory To Low", and then there is a paragraph that says what the PC is doing. I'm requesting advice as to what I can do to somehow fix this problem without breaking the bank. I already know that in todays PC world I'm in the prehistoric age as far as the amount of memory I have in my PC. My PC was built by a local computer business and the specs.... Windows XP home edition, Processor 1.40 gig, memory 256MB, Drives 60.02 GB useable hard drive cap, 13.20GB hard drive free space. So with this I will look forward to legitamate assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC virtual memory too low
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC virtual memory too low
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM
by jeff_windows_team / January 12, 2010 2:55 AM PST

If I were you I would add more RAM. If you have never reformatted that could help your computer pick up the pace too.

Collapse -
virtual memory too low
by stensou / January 12, 2010 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

I know I've never reformatted my PC because I don't know how. Is it difficult to add more ram to my PC and how much should I add? Another note.. I've done all of the standard stuff like disc clean-up, defragging etc.

Collapse -
discs
by jeff_windows_team / January 12, 2010 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: virtual memory too low

Do you have your XP recovery discs?

Collapse -
You can add virtual memory, but only 13GB free is...
by ahtoi / January 12, 2010 3:19 AM PST

not very much. You need a bigger harddrive or backup some of the stuff you don't need to free up some space. So try adding virtual memory manual.

Collapse -
Re: vritual memory low
by Kees Bakker / January 12, 2010 3:29 AM PST

Now tell about your settings for virtual memory. I don't read them in your post.

Adding RAM isn't difficult and should certainly help to make your PC faster. You'll note the difference. If you've any doubt about your ability to do it yourself, find the nearest computershop and let them do it. Probably they won't charge extra if you buy the memory there also.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!