Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC Unable to Power-up

Running XP-PRO,500MHZ,512MB,Okia switching Power supply(420ATX-420W Max)and Intel MotherBoard.Whenever i turn on the PC, it powers on for about 3 seconds and shut off, then the only way to try power up again is by unpluging the power cord, then plug it back in, press power and it does the same thing. I remove the cover of the pc and press power to see exactly what is physically powering on and i notice that the power supply fan, CPU FAN and a third internal fan turns on. I strip the fan down of almost all items that draw current an the problem still remains.
Anyone cares to wade in on my problem and share your expertise with me.. Thank you...PS: I even tried a magnifying glass and still could not find the model number anywhere. I did see intel MB written in bold letters. System is about 5 years old Pentium 3 processor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Unable to Power-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Unable to Power-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strip the beast down to....

In reply to: PC Unable to Power-up

motherboard, CPU/HSF, PS and speaker. No beeps, and you've got those 4 to swap out. My guess would be a bad board.

Collapse -
dont anic, problem might be simple

In reply to: PC Unable to Power-up

Hi,

with luck, your problem could be very simple. I would uggest you to check your cabinet, the PC box which holds ur motherboard. A friend of mine had a similar problem. the real trouble was that the switch had been pressed in the cabinet, but was looking normal on the outside. the power switch must have got jaded due to use. u say the machine is 5 years old. so, there ur problem might lie. remove the switch cover n check it up.

on a serious note, try swapping your SMPS, the power supply for the board. It might have a short circuit or fuse blown up. I dont believe ur motherboard has any fault at all. It might still be going great guns, after all these years.

To check your motherboards functionality, jus observe if u hear a beep within seconds after powering on. this is the basic way of checking up whether a motherboard has conked out or not. chin up! u may have won the battle yet n have the last laugh!

btw, dont u think it's time u changed n updated ur PC?

bye, hope i could be helpful in solving ur problem!

letme know wat hapnd.

happy computing,
rgds,
sai1ram

Collapse -
He it right about the beeps!

In reply to: dont anic, problem might be simple

The PC?s systems beeps are similar to a cars ?engine light? flashing in it?s diagnostics mode.

At startup your PC runs a small BIOS program to test for faults and that is where the beeps come into play.

Like a car when it turns the ?check engine? light on as your wife is driving down the road the PC does the same thing with the beeps as it starts up.

But the PC is smart enough to not let you drive any more until you fix it, were the car will let your wife put a piece of tape or a baby picture over that glaring CHECK ENGINE LIGHT and keeps driving until SHE BLOWS THE MOTOR UP!!!!?. hehehehehehe

NOW with that said.

We are still shady on who built the system! So who is the manufacture of the PC?

Did you buy it new or used, and either way did it come with a ?motherboard and chipset book?.

Your motherboard book is like a car repair manual and has other goodies in it we may need to know.

When you come back, think about answers to these and try some of the suggestions to.

1. Does the PC beep and if so how many times and please describe them. i.e.. PC does one beep then stops. Or, PC beeps twice real fast and stops. Or, PC does one long beep and three fast beeps and shuts down. That would help us.

2. Had your PC been crashing a lot before it gave up the ghost? And when you opened the case was is real dusty inside? The crashes and dusty case could be a tell of a bad cable connection, but that is hard to tell without the beeps and the motherboard, chipset.

3. You could try Gently pulling all of your power supply connections from your motherboard (Only one at a time thought!) and reconnecting them before you try a boot cycle. Also unplug the power supply for a minimum of 20 seconds each time in a boot up and always unplug it to work inside the machine them plug it back in to boot up. Safety First!

4. Never pull on the wires to unplug a connector. Pull only on the plastic connector and if needed, wiggle it only in the same plane. Side to side or up and down.

One more thing I will throw out here is the CMOS battery. The thing is 5 years old!

http://tech-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/applets/cmos/cmosdemo.html

Post back and we will fix it.

Ps.. read the stickers on the back for hints of who built the box if you draw a blank of who house it was stolen from. Hehehehehe

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.