PC Hardware forum

General discussion

pc tv tuner

by arthputy / January 28, 2009 2:49 PM PST

I want to view and record my current tv lineup to my pc. I have a cable box from my cable company (astound). Will it go through the cable box for one channel viewing-recording or is there a way to bypass the cable box for simultaneously viewing and recording on the pc like a dvr does? I have expanded basic cable programing. Also, what would be better: a usb tuner or internal tv tuner card and whats a good one for under $100.00. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pc tv tuner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pc tv tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depending on your provider
by lacsr / January 28, 2009 9:03 PM PST
In reply to: pc tv tuner

Most of the cable TV (but not all) available on channels 2-125 will still be viewable on the TV tuner cards. HD may or may not be available. You would need to check with your provider if they offer clear-QAM channels.
If you do not know what that means, see here for a discussion:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/248819
Or Google for various clarification.
Once you find out what is available, then start shopping. Many like the Hauppauge devices, see here:
http://www.hauppauge.com/
But you are free to explore other brands.

Collapse -
pc tuner
by arthputy / January 29, 2009 1:01 AM PST

would the "hauppauge" hd pvr do what I what?

Collapse -
Yes, it would
by lacsr / January 29, 2009 8:04 PM PST
In reply to: pc tuner

But it costs more than $100 you mentioned See here:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
If you are not as concerned with HD recording, then the WinTV-PVR line is quite popular. There are four choices of that line or there are WinTV-HVR which add Clear QAM channels along with the SD channels. The HD PVR ( Hauppauge 1212 ) is the most all round capable choice as long as the inputs fit your needs. It looks like you have to use component inputs for HD recording. It has pass thru so you can intercept the signal from the STB, then on to your TV without any other changes in the connections.

Collapse -
tv tuner
by nofret / January 31, 2009 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: pc tv tuner

go for the ati wonder tv card. It has the highest ratings of any tuner cards out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.