Desktops forum

Question

pc-tv problem

by blue_neptune / May 18, 2014 3:52 PM PDT

When I hook my desktop up to the tv with HDMI cable I get 'no signal' on the computer. First time got signal to tv, but when tried to go back to desktop got 'no signal' on computer. This time as soon as I hooked up HDMI got no signal on computer. No sound to tv either, but I think I have solution from these forums.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pc-tv problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pc-tv problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Connection start isn't assured
by Willy / May 19, 2014 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: pc-tv problem

After connecting you may have to wait a short time for the TV and PC to sync together. If none, then you have to set the TV source as HDMI port(the one the TV is connected to) and then the PC must be actually streaming something. being connected is not enough for some setups. The "active stream" being on will then be displayed from PC to TV. If it worked before then repeat the same ports being used. You gave little details to go on both my generic advise covers much of the process.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Connection isn't assured
by blue_neptune / May 20, 2014 1:00 AM PDT

Heya:

Thanks for you reply. My problem isn't that I can't get signal to the tv, the problem is when I want to go back to the computer IT shows no signal, even when I've changed the projection setting back. The sound issue probably will be solved through the control panel setttings, though haven't tried it yet. I guess I could just unplug the HDMI from the computer when I don't want the connection to be able to have signal back to the computer, but this seems like it shouldn't be necessary, not to mention a pain in the prat.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Too many variables out there
by Willy / May 20, 2014 6:17 AM PDT

The plain fact is there are different TV and PCs out there. While sometimes it can be easy and others its finding the match of setting that allows all this to happen. Further, so-called smart TVs may get in the way or the PC "media center" could allow an easier setup, but you have to follow through and keep everything the same at least for this setup. If you use your PC elsewhere on another media output setup that could vary.In other words just because it worked once or it seems it should work just isn't so. Let, not forget the HDCP copyrighted schemes as well which can hose it all.

tada ----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?