Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC turns on but nothing on monitor.

by ells84 / February 23, 2007 2:08 AM PST

Hi, I recently bought a new PC which worked fine for a couple of weeks but then one day I went to turn it on and the machine fired up but nothing came up on the monitor. The CPU fan and the power supply fan started spinning and a green light on the motherboard came on but the monitor said it was getting no signal. Then, when I tried to turn it off by holding down the power button on the front of the case it didnt work forcing me to turn it off at the mains. I also noticed there was no power getting to the CD-ROM. (Im running XP, the motherboard is an Asus A8S-X, the processor is an AMD Athlon 3800 and the graphics card is a Radeon 9250). I tried a different monitor and power supply but that didnt work. I also tried re-setting the motherboard and re-seating the graphics card but none of that worked either. I guess the obvious explanation would be a faulty graphics card but the fact that the CD-ROM isnt getting any power and the machine wont turn off when I hold down the power button would suggest a problem with something else, maybe the mobo? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC turns on but nothing on monitor.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC turns on but nothing on monitor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If It's New, Time To Take It Back...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2007 3:07 AM PST

But then again, you've changed power supplies, tinkered with the motherboard, etc.. Other than that, if you can't take it back, I'm in agreement with you. The next step would be a motherboard replacement.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by ells84 / February 23, 2007 6:28 AM PST

Yeah, I think that's probably the best thing to do. Thanks.

Collapse -
Can you explain what "Resetting the mobo" means??
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2007 4:11 AM PST

Great way to introduce new problems???

Collapse -
Resetting the mobo
by ells84 / February 23, 2007 6:16 AM PST

A friend who knows a lot more than me did it for me. I think he took the battery out of the mobo for a couple of minutes, this apparantly resets it. Im afraid thats all I know about it, as you can probably tell my knowledge of fixing PC'S isnt great!!

Collapse -
OK that simply resets the BIOS to the defaults.
by Ray Harinec / February 23, 2007 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Resetting the mobo

Thought that you fooled with the physical installation of the mobo.

Collapse -
Monitor Self Test
by scoolio / February 23, 2007 6:11 AM PST

When the computer is turned off disconnect the VGA/DVI cable and turn on the monitor.

The power should go green briefly then display a message on screen or go orange to indicate it's sleepy and tired.

What happens?

Collapse -
by ells84 / February 23, 2007 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor Self Test

The green light stays on and a message comes up saying "No connection, check signal cable".

Collapse -
Same problem
by realmjump / February 24, 2007 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor

I had the same problem with my computer, I eventually had to replace my motherboard.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?