Computer Help forum

General discussion

pc turns of 10 seconds into booting up

here is my problem, when i turn my acer aspire m1610 off at night, then turn back on in the morning it starts to boot up then switches of, i cant turn it back on by the power button unless i unplug it, after between 10 and 20 times of doing this it boots and runs fine all day,no problems at all. i can restart it and everything is good, then when i turn it off for about 8 hours its the same problem,ive tried start up repair and it cant find any problems,although i tried to do a complete restore and it cant find any backups, ive got an intel dual core e2140 cpu, 2.5 gigs ram and windows vista home basic, also nvidea 9400 grafics card, had the pc for about 2and a half years with no problems,im wondering if its the psu or motherboard, any help would be much appreciated as im just leaving it running all the time now as i dont want to keep turning the power on and off as this cant be good for it, thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pc turns of 10 seconds into booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pc turns of 10 seconds into booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you research BAD CAPS

In reply to: pc turns of 10 seconds into booting up

You find this is a known symptom. Sadly few shops replace laptop caps.

Collapse -
not relevant

In reply to: If you research BAD CAPS

thanks for your help but my pc is a desktop not a laptop

Collapse -
That makes the prospect much better.

In reply to: not relevant

Replace the bad caps or have it done by a competent repair shop.

Kees

Collapse -
dont understand answer

In reply to: That makes the prospect much better.

what are the caps then, i thought this was a power issue, but maybe im just dumb

Collapse -
Bad Caps

In reply to: dont understand answer

Collapse -
sorry my mistake

In reply to: pc turns of 10 seconds into booting up

it could be the capasitors im gonna check in a bit

Collapse -
checked caps

In reply to: sorry my mistake

just checked all the caps on the pc, there does not seem to be any bulging or leaking caps, and the pc runs fine all day, no sudden shut downs or software errors, the problem only occurs when the pc is tutned off for more than 3 hours,i would think if it was the caps it would have some signs during the day, but nothing. its really got me this problem,as i can leave the pc running for days without any problems.

Collapse -
The sign is clear.

In reply to: checked caps

Not all bad caps will have a visible sign. It's also possible to get this symptom on older PCs because Electrolytic Caps do wear out. This symptom can confound those outside of PC repair circles. But it is a well known sign.

I'd be duplicating the internet if I wrote the way this cap ages and works (or not) as it gets old.

You can try a new bigger power supply and if that does not cure it, a new motherboard.
Bob

Collapse -
Might well be the power supply since ...

In reply to: checked caps

one weak area that has often caused power supply failures is the BAD CAPS issue.

The capacitors used in power supplies include larger-value capacitors used in the filtering steps, where the 110 VAC input voltage is stepped down and filtered. These capacitors often include electrolytic capacitors that are sometimes given to leakage or even bursting.

Since these are inside the PSU case they are difficult to examine (and examining them can be dangerous as they are larger value and the residual energy they contain can be rather shocking - not damaging in itself but the sliced fingers from rapid movement of appendage across sharp metal edges is indeed annoying.

Try a new PSU.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Might well be the power supply since ...

i will give it a try when i can get a new psu, until then i will just leave it running,as it seems ok ,its not over heating and the psu is not warm,one other thing it seems to power off even when i leave it in sleep mode over night, dont know if that is relevant, im pretty sure that when the pc is in sleep mode it shuts down the hard drive, so could it be a bad hard drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.