Question

PC turning to "power safe mode" and other for no reason

Hello guys ! I'm searching for some advice ! Note: I don't really know much stuff about computers.
I've used my PC for 5 years and everything was fine. This summer I left it for a couple of months and when I started to use it again it went crazy ! Sometimes when I turn it on, the display stays dark with "power saving mode". Sometimes the display turns dark and everything stops in the middle of the work for no apparent reason. Sometimes it goes pink. And one time it went blue. Sometimes it's just my computer that stops responding. I've tried so far: cleaning the dust inside - it's already squeaky clean ! I reinstalled winXP (afterwards the problem persists, but not that often like before) ! I updated NVIDIA GeForce drivers ! What else can I do myself to solve this problem myself ? Thanks !

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PC turning to "power safe mode" and other for no reason
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC turning to "power safe mode" and other for no reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: power saving mode

That's not the PC that says 'power saving mode', that's the monitor telling you it gets no signal.

A common reason for that is an issue with the video card. If you find it easier to try another monitor than to try another video card, just do that. You never know if it helps. If it doesn't replacing the video card is the second thing to do. Your post doesn't tell if that's something you can do yourself.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
"Sometimes when I turn it on, the display stays dark with

"Sometimes when I turn it on, the display stays dark with "power saving mode". "

That's a clue to inspect the PC boards and power supplies for BAD CAPS. Here's a link about what to look for.
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

If you find BAD CAPS how you fix it depends on your skills and more. That is, if you are an electronics tech or engineer you put in new caps. If you repair PCs you may replace boards or power supplies. If you don't do your own work you find a new machine is the cheapest fix.
Bob

CNET Forums