HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin

by Nataliyc / June 3, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

Hello, everyone,
I have , rather, unusual question. Could someone on purpose take out some part in your desktop tower in order to mess up your PC/ delete memory and files?
I would like to keep the story to the minimum, yet, here is what you all need to know... I have purchased the discs to restore my Gateway PC desktop, yet, once I started re-booting process, I feel like getting no - where - the message I read, after inserting the disc is " no connection" or " no cable find".
Everything is connected as the " last day " when the PC was working "OK".. I am not sure if one can remove something from the tower/mother board ( in order to remove completely all memory and files) to the point that I cannot restore the PC even with "restore discs" designed for my PC/model?

I would appreciate your input,
N.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
" here is what you all need to know "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

That's a strange statement. For example we know that XP could issue such a warning but you did not reveal the version of windows.

Also what makes you think there is a connected and working hard drive?

Tell more and also why this is all that we need to know.
Bob

Collapse -
Unable to restore PC with restore CD
by Nataliyc / June 3, 2011 10:22 PM PDT

Sorry, there was a personal situation, "all you need to know" was referring to the "how" all this happened not in regards to what had happened...

I have Gateway Windows Vista Home Premium 2007. Everything connected, again, just my way of saying " cables and wires-wisely"it looks legit, I not saying anything about the hard drive - I am not sure if it is working, but it was sure working not too long ago...
What I am trying to say with my "female" brain is could you remove something from the computer's brain ( tower) , such as a hard drive or something else to the point that one cannot restore PC to the factory settings, even with restore discs in use....?
Thanks, again.
N.

Collapse -
All I can guess here is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2011 1:44 AM PDT

Given the story so far all I can GUESS and it has to be a guess is that the Hard Drive is disconnected, failed or gone.

Sorry but this has to be a guess as I don't have access to the machine. You can remove some of the guesswork by telling if the hard drive shows up in the boot or bios screens.
Bob

Collapse -
Hard drive
by Nataliyc / June 4, 2011 11:35 AM PDT

Dear Bob,
Thanks for the posting, again.
Question: how would I know if hard drive is removed , when I see BIOs - what should I look for?
I guess, the "other" case scenario is to open the tower...
Thank you, Again
Nataliy.

Collapse -
Provide some more info
by Willy / June 5, 2011 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard drive

You got me guessing too. I don't know what you're doing in that you need to use the restore discs. I mention that, because you had to have some problem or issue in order to so this. So? what was the original problem or how did you get to this point. And YES, open the PC case and check for the HD being present. In other words, let's do some basic checking and verify all is present and connected, etc and then post back, just what is your PC made of,m Gateway model#??? You may have more than one problem, etc. but you're there to get some details in order to try some fixes or repairs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.