Question

PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin

Hello, everyone,
I have , rather, unusual question. Could someone on purpose take out some part in your desktop tower in order to mess up your PC/ delete memory and files?
I would like to keep the story to the minimum, yet, here is what you all need to know... I have purchased the discs to restore my Gateway PC desktop, yet, once I started re-booting process, I feel like getting no - where - the message I read, after inserting the disc is " no connection" or " no cable find".
Everything is connected as the " last day " when the PC was working "OK".. I am not sure if one can remove something from the tower/mother board ( in order to remove completely all memory and files) to the point that I cannot restore the PC even with "restore discs" designed for my PC/model?

I would appreciate your input,
N.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC tower - unable to restore PC with disks, something missin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
" here is what you all need to know "

That's a strange statement. For example we know that XP could issue such a warning but you did not reveal the version of windows.

Also what makes you think there is a connected and working hard drive?

Tell more and also why this is all that we need to know.
Bob

- Collapse -
Unable to restore PC with restore CD

Sorry, there was a personal situation, "all you need to know" was referring to the "how" all this happened not in regards to what had happened...

I have Gateway Windows Vista Home Premium 2007. Everything connected, again, just my way of saying " cables and wires-wisely"it looks legit, I not saying anything about the hard drive - I am not sure if it is working, but it was sure working not too long ago...
What I am trying to say with my "female" brain is could you remove something from the computer's brain ( tower) , such as a hard drive or something else to the point that one cannot restore PC to the factory settings, even with restore discs in use....?
Thanks, again.
N.

- Collapse -
All I can guess here is

Given the story so far all I can GUESS and it has to be a guess is that the Hard Drive is disconnected, failed or gone.

Sorry but this has to be a guess as I don't have access to the machine. You can remove some of the guesswork by telling if the hard drive shows up in the boot or bios screens.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hard drive

Dear Bob,
Thanks for the posting, again.
Question: how would I know if hard drive is removed , when I see BIOs - what should I look for?
I guess, the "other" case scenario is to open the tower...
Thank you, Again
Nataliy.

- Collapse -
Provide some more info

You got me guessing too. I don't know what you're doing in that you need to use the restore discs. I mention that, because you had to have some problem or issue in order to so this. So? what was the original problem or how did you get to this point. And YES, open the PC case and check for the HD being present. In other words, let's do some basic checking and verify all is present and connected, etc and then post back, just what is your PC made of,m Gateway model#??? You may have more than one problem, etc. but you're there to get some details in order to try some fixes or repairs.

CNET Forums