TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

PC to Pioneer VSX832 receiver

by Sethalos / April 8, 2014 1:25 PM PDT

I recently purchased the Pioneer receiver VSX 823 and I want to hook up my computer to it. I can see the picture from the Computer fine but there is no sound. If I turn the receiver off the sound then comes through the TV. The TV is connected directly through the receiver.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC to Pioneer VSX832 receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC to Pioneer VSX832 receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How is *everything* hooked up?
by Pepe7 / April 8, 2014 3:09 PM PDT

All cable types, connections, ports, settings, etc. We need to know a lot more details to figure it out, amigo Wink

Don't forget to check the audio settings on the laptop too(!)

Collapse -
More Info
by Sethalos / April 8, 2014 4:55 PM PDT

Ok here we go:

The computer is an Alienware X51 (There is a 3tb USB External Drive Connected to the X52). I have a HDMI cable running from the X51 to my Pioneer VSX 823 (Sat/CBL HDMI Port), and the TV (62" LG Plasma HD TV) is directly connected via HDMI to the VSX.

I'm a Network Security Engineer, so I'm fairly advanced with Computers and I'm certain there is no issues on the Computer side of the fence, However, i will detail the following: In Sounds, my default selection is the VSX 823 and the speakers were set up initially...it is sending sound signal through due to the testing I had done.

When the receiver is turned on and set to Sat/CBL, the computer screen is shown on the TV but there is no sound. The computer detects when the Receiver is on or the settings on the receiver are changed because it resets and goes through detection again. Now, When the receiver is turned off, the sound will automatically be sent through the TV (Remember the X51 is not directly connected to the tv, it is going through the receiver).

Trying to troubleshoot the receiver, I tried changing settings in the HDMI Configuration menu (Turning off Control, ARC, and Pass-Through), as I understand it Control is used to combine remote controls, and ARC is used if I want sound from the TV to be passed to the receiver. No luck there.

I also went through the owners manual for the VSX 832 (which is here LINK).

I am completely baffled as to why this isn't working, I figured by just connecting the HDMI to the receiver all would be fine, lol...not the case.

If I can provide any further info, please let me know...thanks for the help.

-Seth

Collapse -
You say
by samkh / April 9, 2014 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

"When the receiver is turned on and set to Sat/CBL, the computer screen is shown on the TV but there is no sound". Do you mean no sound from TV or no sound from speakers connected to VSX?

If you had configured the TV to shut off internal speakers when HDMI signal is detected, there will be no sound from it when video is displayed. You can test by connecting PC directly to TV HDMI w/o the AVR.

Collapse -
Speakers
by Sethalos / April 9, 2014 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: You say

My apologies, from the VSX Speakers.

The whole idea is for me to be able to play my media through my Receiver/Speakers for surround sound, while it is displayed on my LG Plasma.

Currently, there is the video on the TV, there isn't sound through the Pioneer VSX and Klipsh speakers. The only time there is sound is if I turn off the Receiver then the TV kicks in with its sound.

I have gone straight through to the TV, via HDMI cable, and it works without a hitch (through the TV speakers)...However, my goal is to get the sound through the Receiver.

Thank you for your help.

Seth

Collapse -
One last thing
by samkh / April 9, 2014 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

I will suggest is to look at your TV HDMI setting. Is the CEC on? CEC messes up a lot of thing, it's great if you use a soundbar so that both are controlled together, but for every other setups I turn it off.

Collapse -
CEC
by Sethalos / April 9, 2014 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: One last thing

Ok, so checked my TV HDMI settings, and no, CEC is not on.

No other settings in there should effect the sound, but went through them all testing and no luck.

Collapse -
Do you
by samkh / April 9, 2014 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: CEC

get audio out of VSX when playing an audio file on PC, without TV hooked up? If not, look at your VSX settings for audio...maybe it's set to receive audio from another input when you select Sat/Cbl. Usually AVRs allow you to preset audio and video sources independently.

Collapse -
HDTV settings shouldn't matter for a differnt input
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2014 6:24 AM PDT

Since you are having issues w/ laptop sound and not HDTV sound, it shouldn't matter in this particular case.

(I do understand that CEC is capable of throwing a wrench though...)

Collapse -
Also read the continued notes on p.26
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2014 6:28 AM PDT

It makes reference to 'for other digital signal formats, set to A (analog)'.

That's the kind of stuff that can sometimes mess up our plans to stream certain types of files from PC to Receiver.

YMMV.

Collapse -
HDMI is a bit of a beast
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2014 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

You are figuring this out quickly Wink I've had both factory windows boxes and self built rigs w/ audio issues when connected to receivers (not only via HDMI either).

Just to be clear on your complete setup- you have no additional satellite or cable box connected(?) Also, did you run through p.25 again of the receiver manual regarding how the audio input signals need to be selected(?) That can be a hot mess on many other receivers too IME. What's supposed to work in 'Auto' mode doesn't always perform as described anyway.

Understanding you can slice and dice open a computer with your eyes closed ;), that said-is the audio driver on your Alienware configured to send out PCM audio(?) (see note under #4 on p.25) As you know all audio driver settings aren't the same.

Try to avoid ARC if possible, since it rarely if every works well IME. Audio passed back from an HDTV is usually easier to deal with via digital optical.

Also, have you tried using different HDMI ports in back of the receiver?

Collapse -
thanks
by Sethalos / April 9, 2014 9:36 AM PDT

Ok, soooo...followed all of the suggestions with no luck.

1) Checked the Driver for the Sound to be sure as well as Driver Settings and Sound settings (The VSX-823 is actually Selected as the Sound Source) Tried the others as well just to test.

2) Changed HDMI ports on the back of the receiver to see if any would work...no luck..same issue.

3) The only other components plugged into the receiver at the moment, besides the TV, is the BluRay player (LG) and it works fine all around, and the XBox 360 (Which works Fine as well).

4) I went through the manual and tried different settings on the receiver (They are actually quite limited, and only ONE selection for HDMI) and no joy either.

5) There is only one setting for Analog that switches between CD and TV, tried both and neither changed anything.

I'm thinking that maybe it just isn't possible...I am surprised that it works with the Xbox so easily though.

Thinking maybe I should have went with the Yamaha..lol.

Collapse -
Did you
by samkh / April 9, 2014 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

just say it works with BD and Xbox but not with X51? How can you claim everything is fine with X51 when it is proving not to be? Have you tried a different PC?

Collapse -
Good point
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2014 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you

I am guessing a network engineer has at least two or three extra PCs laying around. <Pointing over to the pile of old XP and Vista laptops in the corner>

Worth a test anyway.

Collapse -
@Pepe
by Sethalos / April 10, 2014 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good point

Certainly do...both Linux and a few Windows ones. None worked, lol.

Collapse -
Did you try a Mac(?)
by Pepe7 / April 10, 2014 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: @Pepe

<runs and hides>

Well....did ya(?) 8-)

Collapse -
This is just not right
by samkh / April 10, 2014 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: @Pepe

You tried:

a. Different PCs using same HDMI cable to VSX Sat/Cbl port and they all don't work
b. Xbox and BD using same HDMI cable to VSX Sat/Cbl port and they work
c. X51 using same HDMI cable to other VSX HDMI ports and they all don't work

You have checked the HDMI port configuration of VSX and it is not set to passthrough audio to HDMI output; it is set to output audio through the VSX speakers.

The only remaining recommendation I have is to reset the VSX to factory default and try one more time to get audio from the X51. If you still don't have sound, it's time to move on and get a different receiver.

Collapse -
Yeah, that's really all that is left to try
by Pepe7 / April 11, 2014 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: This is just not right

But truth be told, even high end receivers have very wigged out HDMI functionality.
This is the type of situation where it can certainly help to buy from an e-tailer with liberal return policy. <Thinking of how many times I have returned stuff to Amazon>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?