Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC Support Services

by ramonahailes / August 30, 2010 5:48 PM PDT

Does anyone out there know anything about a company called Srecurenow?
They called me after i had a problem with acccessing websites which returned me with an error message and option to "Send Error Report to Microsoft." I heard them say they were from Microsoft and were calling about my Send Error Report message. They shadowed my computer saying there were viruses present that caused the errors to occur and that they had fixed that problem. They then told me i had several problem files and that for a fee they would provide a PC service etc. I realised then that this was perhaps a gimmick. I checked their website but who knows??? i am now concerned that they had access to my computer. the only reason i agreed to this was because they said Microsoft and knew about my specific error problem.
Any info on this company would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Support Services
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Support Services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Srecurenow
by manmur / August 30, 2010 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: PC Support Services

I did a Google search of Srecurenow. The Web-of Trust shown a Red icon. Reading though the review of the site. It is reported as a spam, phishing/ other scam site. I did look at their site. To me the site seems off. HP Host also list it as a phishing site (If I used HP Host then I will not be able to get to their website). The website has been black-listed by URIBL.

They are NOT Mictosoft. In fact I doubt that Microsoft even recommend them! I highly advise that you run a full scan in safe mode with all of your PC security programs. I am not sure but they clam that you have a virus on your PC. The only True way find out is to do your own scan with the security programs that YOU have installed yourself.

What web sites are you having problem with?

manmur

Collapse -
PC computer services
by ramonahailes / August 31, 2010 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Srecurenow

Thank you so much for replying. i also thought their website was a bit "off". I may have been scammed here. i will do as u suggest and run a full safety scan but what do i do if they have copied my files??
Thanks anyway for helping out. Much appreciated

Collapse -
Generally speaking
by Jimmy Greystone / August 30, 2010 11:10 PM PDT

Generally speaking, legitimate support service companies do not approach you and offer to sell you something in an unsolicited manner.

That alone should be enough to set off warning bells in your head.

Secondly, I would actually report this company to Microsoft. I'm sure Microsoft would be quite interested in knowing about some company trying to use their name to get people to fall for their scam. Haven't seen any of the Microsoft flunkies who used to spend time around here, but maybe someone at Cnet still has contact info for their handler and can pass it along.

Collapse -
PC support
by ramonahailes / August 31, 2010 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Generally speaking

Thanks for yr reply. Yes, normally i am very cautious about things like this, what threw me out was them saying Microsoft and the fact that they knew about my Error Report problem. The report goes directly to Microsoft so when they mentioned the report, i figured it was safe to talk to them.
I will definitely report this to Microsoft but am real concerned about whether they have copied files off my system. i contacted them and they called me back assuring me they were service providers for Windows. I just dont feel right about this. Thanks anyway. I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
I agree
by manmur / August 31, 2010 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: PC support

you should call or E-mail Microsoft themselves to find out if Srecurenow is even recommended by Microsoft. I can not find any support for their clam that they are supported by MS.

manmur

Collapse -
The next step in this situation
by Brechan / August 31, 2010 6:30 PM PDT

is to change all your passwords for secure locations (e.g.: banking, PayPal, etc.), and check with your bank to see if there's been any unusual withdrawls from your account.
If the scoundrels know about your error reporting to Microsoft, then perhaps you've been hit by a keylogger virus http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro is an excellent program for detecting all sorts of nastiness.

Collapse -
Srecurenow
by ramonahailes / September 1, 2010 4:26 PM PDT

Thanks to all of you out there who responded so kindly to my query. I have contacted Microsoft and am awaiting a reply. i have also changed a/c numbers/passwords etc. They have since called me twice assuring me they are legitimate service providers for Windows and have asked their Manager to call me also....awaiting his call.
If Windows confirm they do not work for them, does anyone know who i can contact further to report this?
Thanks once again to all of you who replied.

Collapse -
A couple come to mind
by Brechan / September 1, 2010 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Srecurenow

Your local police department (non-emergency phone number)
The Better Business Bureau

Collapse -
MS data use
by Willy / September 1, 2010 1:16 AM PDT

MS, states it doesn't use the data to help end users as in actually fixing your problem then and now. Its their statistics of collection to help resolve they figure or view as problems. They can then make a fix/cure or start the process to help everyone. Plus, MS openly states it doesn't collect data on a personal level, just the problem reports only.

It appears you got contacted by other means and may have been an open blanket report they make(SeService) in order to make money and as far as I know, MS doesn't contract this out. As always, try googling to see what that co. is all about, with a negative disdain.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
A new scam?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:27 PM PDT

I've read your discussion with interest, and growing alarm. I am willing, (and very happy), to be put right by others here with more knowledge of this type of thing.

Can I ask you to clarify one point? You said that this firm 'called you' after you had reported a web site access problem to Microsoft.

They telephoned you?

Given that it is highly unlikely, if not impossible, that this was from Microsoft, I consider you may now have a very serious problem. It's difficult not to be alarmist here, but this is what I see;

1] You cannot access a web site and an error message appears suggesting you send a report to Microsoft.

2] Soon after, someone telephones you saying they are somehow connected to Microsoft. They are not, so how did they know that;

...a) you had a problem, and

...b) your telephone number?

3] They shadowed your computer. That's Remote Access

4] They 'apparently' fixed virus errors then found even more errors that they could fix "for a fee".

5] They are still contacting you.

What I am concerned with;

They knew your computer had a problem. How did they know that?

They already have some of your personal information, your telephone number. When they called, did they ask to speak to you by name? If so, they have your name.

If they had access to your computer once, then they may still have it. Changing passwords etc on financial or other secure sites may not do any good if you do that on this computer.

What I would do now.

1] Telephone Microsoft. If you are in the US there will be a toll free number available. Tell them everything and ask them, clearly and succinctly, do they have any connection with Srecurenow. If they do, you're fine.

2] If not. STOP USING THIS COMPUTER NOW Disconnect it from the internet.

3] On some other computer preferably elsewhere, or at least hard wired to the internet and not through some wireless router, make sure the firewall is working and re-visit your banking sites and other secure sites and change those passwords yet again. For good measure, phone your bank and credit card companies, and tell them what you have done. Make sure they understand to watch out for unauthorised withdrawals.

4] Go and speak to your local law enforcement department, don't telephone them from a cell phone. If this bogus company are going to phone you back, the local police may want you to try and get some more information.

5] Head over to our Spyware, viruses & security on another computer, create a new discussion and explain the problem. You can post a link to this discussion in that new one, eg;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?messageID=3366416#3366416

6] Ask for advice how to check for and disable/remove, any rootkits.

As I have said I am sorry to be so alarmist. But if this company is bogus and if they have gained access to your computer, then nothing on it is safe.

Mark

Collapse -
Srecurenow
by ramonahailes / September 3, 2010 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: A new scam?

Thanks for replying. I have no idea how they obtained my phone number or knew that i had that particular problem at that given time...i believe it to be random or its possible that they intercept these things. I have a friend who called Toshiba and got a guy from india who said he could fix his problem and asked for his credit card details. Of course my friend told him to take a hike and hung up. But he had called Toshiba!!! I have contacted Microsoft and they confirmed these are scammers and advised me to report it to government authorities which i have done, although they also are fully aware of them. Why then are they still operating? Who knows.
I have also run a scan given to me by Microsoft and found nothing suspicious. I have changed all my details.
I am still waiting to hear from their Manager who i guarantee will not call now as they know i am onto them. They had the audacity to question me as to why i was questioning them!!!
As i said before, the only reason i even spoke to them is that they said they were from Microsoft and mentioned the exact problem i was having at the time. I guess i will have to think about a new computer. Thanks once again for your very helpful posting.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?