Samsung forum

General discussion

PC Share Manager - Folder Share Problem

by frogstar007 / November 1, 2010 8:45 PM PDT

Hi

I have a usb hard drive connected to my laptop that i back up files to, and was hoping to use it for media storage for my LED series 5 TV. I'm assuming PC share manager cannot share folders from this hard drive as when i try share a folder PC manager says "Can only share folder items"

I am able to share folders that are on the laptop though.

Is there something i can do to change this?

Your help will be appreciated.

I'm running windows 7.
PC Share Manager version: 4.2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Share Manager - Folder Share Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Share Manager - Folder Share Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here
by Diligent1 / November 2, 2010 1:45 AM PDT

I was going to get an external usb hd but now I dont know. Read this link.

Collapse -
sorry, heres link
by Diligent1 / November 2, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: here
Collapse -
thanks
by frogstar007 / November 2, 2010 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry, heres link

Thanks Diligent1

Seems like it is a historical problem that samsung are just ignoring. You'd think that with all the money they spend on the technology that they could make it easier for us to use the technology. It seems that their support sucks all over the world. Here in South Africa it's the same.

Anyway i wouldnt buy an external usb drive if you are planning on using it for movies unless you are going to plug it directly into the tv via usb.

Collapse -
Worked out a solution
by Diligent1 / November 8, 2010 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
Thanks
by frogstar007 / November 8, 2010 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Worked out a solution

THanks Diligent1

I actually found a fairly easy solution. In windows 7 run notepad as administrator. then open up configinfo.ini found in the samsung install folder and place the path to your usb drive under [Shared Folder List]. G:/MultiMedia for eg.

Collapse -
Yea
by Diligent1 / November 8, 2010 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Yea, it looks like we both came upon that fix. Happy Im just glad that there is a solution.

Collapse -
Adding path to configinfo.ini
by msantarc1 / December 26, 2010 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

When I add the path to my USB drive to the configinfo.ini and then open PC Share Manager, the folder appears, but it never shows up on the BlueRay player and when I shut down PC Share manager, then re open it, the USB drive is no longer there. Any ideas?

Collapse -
what then--
by Padeng / March 25, 2011 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Worked out a solution

Thank you so much as you will see shortly I am cyber-challenged. I followed this tutorial and I can use my external hard drive. BUT how do I get the movie I have backed up into a format that I can use to view it?

I use windows xp. Like I said everything works but--

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?