Samsung forum

General discussion

Pc Share Manager 3.22 is not correctly creating Thumbnails

First of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Today i downloaded PC Share Manager 3.22 from Samsung website. I didn't had any problem with thumbnails creation until now (I was using 3.20 version). They almost always showed perfectly on my UE46B7000WW LED TV.

This last version only creates thumbnails for some movies (like 5 every 200 files) even on movies that used to work perfectly with 3.20 version.

Nothing has changed on my pc with windows XP sp3, in fact I updated database without problems while running 3.20, and then, after unistalling this version and installing the new one, without adding any sort of file in the shared folder, the thumbnails wont be created Sad

I've tried to uninstall, reboot, install, share, unshare, update again and again... but only the same 5/6 thumbnails are created each try...

Any hint about this matter?

Thank You

Nicola

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc Share Manager 3.22 is not correctly creating Thumbnails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc Share Manager 3.22 is not correctly creating Thumbnails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ops!

In reply to: Pc Share Manager 3.22 is not correctly creating Thumbnails

Ooooooppss!

I messed up with versions numebers Sad

Correct ones are:
Old version (works) = 2.30
Just installed version = 2.32

Collapse -
Pc Share Manager 3.22 is not correctly creating Thumbnails

freespirits,

I understood your question, and it was very easy to read.

The thumbnails are normally stored on the television's cache (internal memory storage). So it may be that you need to clear your cache. The only way to do this is to reset the television, so your current settings will be erased (including a calibration) if you do this. So please decide or ask questions if you have any before doing this.

If you hold down the button on your remote for 10-15 seconds, it will prompt you to reset to factory default settings. Click yes, and it will restart. Then reconnect and see if your thumbnails show up.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Nothing :(

Thank you for your response!

I'm having problems finding a "Factory reset" option either in the TV menu or in the Tv manual (i've serched in both digital and paper manual but can't find a "restore all" feature).
You say to press down the button for 10-15 secs... but what button ;-)?

Before I read your post i've done some research and I noticed that Pc Share Manager, when a new folder to share is added and DB refreshed, automatically creates some hidden folders in its installation directory called: "MediaRoot/HDD/Video/Video0/" and there other directories... some of them are empty and some others contain jpgs with thumbnails. The are very few of them, in fact only thumbnails that are effectively showed on TV media player. I thought that Tv was getting them from this directory until I read what you wrote about chache...

I'm currently looking for old version 2.30 to test if the problem it's still there while i wait for your "how to reset" hints Silly

Thank's for your interest and comprehension for my bad english... I apreciate it!

Nicola

Collapse -
Test completed...

As promised I've made tests while I was waiting for your hints on how to reset the TV, that I hope can still resolve thumbnail issue with 2.32

I've found the 2.30 installer on my download folder and proceeded with install. Shared the folder and.... TADAAAA!

**It works!** Thumbnails are working perfectly for all movies and TV shows them all...

I noticed some differences between the 2 versions installed:

1) Old version significally takes more time to Update DB first time you share a folder... And that's probably because it's effectively searching for movie frames to create thumbnails;

2) Old version still creates hidden folders in the path I mentioned above. For my files it created a total of 6 subfolders (named 000 001 002 etc..) but differently from new version not even 1 folder is empty. In fact pc share manager 2.30 creates 100 couples of jpgs per folder (each TN got 2 sizes).
Contrariwise 2.32 version creates 12 subfolders. Most of them are empty and some of them contain 5/6 jpgs couples. In both versions this folders are marked as "hidden";

I wonder if you can have a "changelog" file wich describes changes have been made to software. Could be interesting to read them!

Since I've encountered some difficulties to find old version on the internet i've uploaded it on my website... maybe can be helpful to others that are having my issue... Here's the link: http://www.marerocce.it/share/pcsharemanagersetup2.3.exe .. (I hope i'm not violating any rule by posting this link Sad )

I'm running on a Windows XP SP3 machine and shared files are both "old" avi divx format and new .mkv HD files.
I hope my experience can help you finding the problem with this version!
P.S.= I don't know if you can, but, can you edit the topic title on original post? As said before i wrote wrong versions code and maybe this can be disorientating for someone looking for this Share Manager issue...

Collapse -
Bump

Any news on the how to reset thing? ;-)?

Collapse -
and why do I need to enter a subject with each reply?

In reply to: Bump

Don't worry about resetting your TV. The thumbnails are *not* stored in the TV's local memory, but are stored on your PC in the "media root" folder as you discovered. And the latest version of Share Manager is broken... it doesn't properly create thumbnails for videos. Keep with the release you have until the come out with a newer one. Maybe it will work.

Collapse -
new version

In reply to: and why do I need to enter a subject with each reply?

I really hope they are going to release soon a new version Sad

Collapse -
new version still broken

In reply to: new version

Version 2.33 released Feb. 18 still has the same problem. It fails to create thumbnails for about half of my video files. This problem was not there two versions ago.

Collapse -
Confirm

In reply to: new version still broken

I can confirm what happened to Foke53, new version is still not working... Any official response about this problem?

Collapse -
4.33 woes

I've just upgraded to 4.33 and most of the thumbnails now default to the filmroll, I'd like to downgrade back to 4.3

Does anyone know where to get the 4.3 installer or can somebody share the file please?

Thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.