Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC's completely unresponsive after startup

by nickbrutal / December 3, 2008 7:14 AM PST

so i was browsing around the web a couple days ago and i stumbled upon a link that gave me one of those fake virus remover popups and continued to get endless popups. eventually the computer just completely froze up for no reason, so i had to turn it off with the power button. i booted it back up and logged on to my user account. basically all my startup stuff loaded up and about 2-3 minutes after startup the computer became completely unresponsive. it continues to happen every time i reboot it. i went into safe mode but i couldn't run anything. can't defrag, can't HD cleanup, can't run my Malware Bytes Anti-Malware. I could run an AVG virus scan but it's a bit out of date and all it detected was like 18 trojans which i wiped. nothing changed..i'm really worried i can't be using my parents' computer all the time, any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC's completely unresponsive after startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC's completely unresponsive after startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To Run Malwarebytes..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 7:30 AM PST

Try these procedures to update it, then run it in Safe Mode.. First, on a clean machine, download the manual updater file from the link below, then copy it to a CD. Transfer the file to the infected machine while in Safe Mode and run the file to update Malwarebytes..

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link(Clicking on the link below will immediately start a download dialogue window from which you can save the file to your desktop.)

Once that's done, while in Safe Mode, access the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Antispyware folder and rename the "mbam.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe".. Once that's done, double click on the renamed file and run a full system scan.. It should run and allow you to clean up the machine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by nickbrutal / December 3, 2008 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: To Run Malwarebytes..

thanks, i renamed it and i was able to run it in safe mode but there's still a problem. everytime i scan it there's one infected object that "can't be removed" until i reboot. And i have restarted when it says that but everytime it turns back on i run another quick scan and there's a couple more trojans and rogue.agent's detected again along with the same file that can't be removed. is there something i'm doing wrong? the file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\imuklf.dll

Collapse -
Try renaming that file in Safe Mode ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 3, 2008 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
blue screen
by nickbrutal / December 3, 2008 10:52 AM PST

i actually managed to manually remove it so i rebooted and ran a 2nd full scan. there was a few infected objects but for the first time it said it removed them all successfully. I restarted and booted up regularly instead of safe mode since "everything was removed" and everything loaded up fine but instead of becoming unresponsive i got a blue screen with a bunch of white text ending with something about beginning physical memory dump. i booted it up regularly again and the same thing happened.

Collapse -
Tried Running SFC?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: blue screen

Some of the malware infections will corrupt system files so badly that a reformat and reinstall is necessary.. First, try using "sfc /scannow" per the instructions below. It should work from Safe Mode. As long as you've got the operating system disc, corrupted system files can be repaired or replaced by using System File Checker.:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by nickbrutal / December 4, 2008 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Tried Running SFC?

looks like something that could work but i tried it in safe mode and a little box just popped up for like a millisecond and blinked away. so i'm guessing it just doesn't work in safe mode. somebody suggested something called xp tiny but unfortunately the CD drive on my other computer is currently not working so i'm double screwed.

Collapse -
When You Typed 'sfc /scannow' In The Run Line, Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

...Did you type it correctly with a single space after the "sfc" and before the "/scannow"?

If not, please try again.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?