Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PC's browser hijacked as well as hit by virus; can't repair.

by Big Steve / April 6, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

I must say that this forum is very informative; I have posted some about my old PC still running on WIN 95 and having only a 4GB HD. Two weeks ago something happened to my old PC; I later found out that my browser had been hijacked. When I received my phone bill last week there was an unusual charge; one which I'm disputing.

Now just last week my PC was hit with a virus; I have Norton's AV but haven't been able to receive any live updates from them for a few months now. Everytime my PC took a hit I submitted the data to Norton; Norton sent me an automated message saying my files were damaged by adware; I've never heard of adware.

A friend of mine who knows more about computers than I do tried to help me out; had me download this; download that; nothing seemed to work.

He did recommend that I download a program called Spybot S & D but once I downloaded it and attempted to run it I received the following error message:

A required .DLL file, WS2_32.DLL was not found.

I'm very frustrated at this point and have decided to move this old PC to another room to use simply for word processing; no more internet use for this puppy.

I'm in the 40+ age category; I'm not a gamer; I use a computer mainly for word processing; email; web surfing and Quicken. I've been reading several recent posts about a new computer by EMachine; the model number begins with a "6" I think. Is that a pretty good PC for basic computer use? Does EMachine have average to good tech support; hopefully better than Dell's.

Before I connect any new computer to the internet; I'm still on slow dial-up; besides a good anti-virus program; what else do I need to purchase and install in a new PC so as to avoid what has hit my old PC in recent weeks? My PC will be 7 years old in August but now it's time for a change.

Finally as I attempt to type out this post; the words on the screen appear sluggish; I type out the letters but have to wait several second before they appear on screen. Could this also be related to my computer problems? Whatever it is; something has gotten into my old computer and it's NOT running smoothly as it did before; definitely not. Comments from any computer experts please.

Big Steve
Biloxi, MS

End Of Message
04/06/05

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC's browser hijacked as well as hit by virus; can't repair.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC's browser hijacked as well as hit by virus; can't repair.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A required .DLL file, WS2_32.DLL was not found.

Hi Big Steve,

WS2_32.dll is a Windows system file, associated with Winsock 2.0 - in the simplest sense, Winsock is a Windows component related to Internet access.

If you are using Windows 95, you will need to install the Winsock 2.0 update from Microsoft. The Spybot website has an article about that:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/11.html

HTH

Collapse -
Windows 95? I'd bail out to Linux. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

I rarely make a case for others to make the changeover, but since you are on Windows 95, there is little today of interest to a 95 user and the security issues are not patches for 95. IE 6.0 does NOT function on 95 and IE 5.5 even with the latest patches is exploitable.

The basics of web, email, (Open) Office are all just an OS away with what may be great hardware support for any 95 capable box.

Try that.

Bob

Collapse -
I see that Marianna and Bob
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

have given you good advice, but to answer your other questions;

New Computer

You should get a suite of single programs to protect against malware such as hackers, viruses, spyware and adware. I note that you are on dial-up and so downloading programs may be time consuming, but they will be well worth the effort. You will need;

A firewall, (with a new computer you will also get Windows XP's Firewall which is good, but limited), Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, and Anti-adware.

Recently I did a reply to someone on these forums and I spelt out the steps I would take. Although that person's problems were not the same as yours, nevertheless the solutions are the same.

The link to that reply is here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10149-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=95901&messageID=1086971&tag=nl.e497

All of those programs are free.

Slow typing response

Your other problem, the slow typing response I suspect is related to viruses, and I would apply the same solutions to the er... elderly computer.

Mark

Collapse -
PC's browser hijacked as well as hit by virus; can't repair
by BrianM / April 6, 2005 2:55 AM PDT

Here's your missing file that has been updated since it first came out.
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/trouble_ws2.phtml

As for Norton I was a long time user until they decided not to support the version I had and their good deal left me feeling USED, upgrade for $79.95, such a deal from the good folks at Symantec. I have since switched to AVG Free and then my provider started providing eTrust for free. I use both but only let one run at a time.

Spybot S & D works great but you'll need to update the file above. Don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to finding spyware, use at least two or three such as Ad-Aware, Spyware Buster, Xoftspy, CWShredder to name just a few. Also you might want to get Hijack This, it tells you everything that is running on the computer and be careful with it.

Most of those programs won't take that long except maybe the virus protection and they are all worth downloading and using.

It sounds like the old computer needs a good cleaning out of useless files and the like. First disconnect it from the net after reading this page:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,97442,00.asp

Every program that I listed is FREE except for eTrust so the cost will be your time. No DSL or cable in your area?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.