PC restarts after few minutes and restarts continuously

Hi,
My systems configuration is-
Pentium 4 2.8E
Intel original 865GBF
1536MB DDR Ram
80 GB IDE HDD
Windows XP professional

The problem started few weeks ago. The pc starts fine and works fine. But after 30-40 minutes Windows suddenly shuts down in proper way (showing shutting down screen, windows restarts screen) but automatically and then starts restarting just after entering in BIOS. It restarts continuously.

I took my PC to the repair centre and they found several damaged capacitors on motherboard and repaired those. But the problem is still there and they couldn't identify the problem.

Now what is the problem? Any advice? How will I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC restarts after few minutes and restarts continuously
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC restarts after few minutes and restarts continuously
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That issue is well known.

In reply to: PC restarts after few minutes and restarts continuously

Type BAD CAPS at google but be aware that while replacing the caps works, sometimes it doesn't and you have to replace the mainboard.

However there is a clue here and if this was my machine I'd get some heatsink compound then remove the CPU heatsink, put a drop in the center of the cpu and put the heatsink back on. I'd leave the cover off and see if the cpu and other fans work.

Now ask if there was any improvement. If not, shop for a new mainboard and possibly a new bigger PSU since those failed caps can stress the PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
Why shutdown normally?

In reply to: That issue is well known.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your advice.

All the bad capacitors are already changed. But the problem is there. I will definitely try some heatsink paste on processor as you advised. But I don't understand how it can shutdown normally before it starts restarting again and again. Is there any explanation?

Another information I should share- when I enter into the BIOS and keep the machine running then it runs properly as long as I wish to run it. But it starts making problem when I boot to windows and then run for a while.

As mohamed_e56 was saying it is because of some kind of virus. But I couldn't find any virus using AVG antivirus. Can you name some specific virus so that I can try specific tools for those?

Also I installed windows XP in another drive and same problem exists there.

Any advise on this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Collapse -
" Is there any explanation?"

In reply to: Why shutdown normally?

Yes, but the cost of the forensics and postmortem usually means that we never find out exactly what Microsoft's code is doing or why some CPU code fails when hot in some way. Since this is what it is I never am paid to do root cause analysis but just have to fix it. All I can do is give you the benefit of what helps most often for a dollar.

As to the virus, I didn't think it was that so you'll have to seek why they wrote that and what they would do about it.
Bob

Collapse -
there are 2 reasons for that

the first reason is it a virus because only virus will close the windows normaly or it is a windows damge or some thing in oyur mother boared cause that but if so it will studenly restart so scan for virus and update your anti-virus and i am sure u have more than one ram so open the computer with one ram if the problem still exist install new windows and thank you

Collapse -
RAW, virus, losing system files

There may be many reasons, for example, low power supply, virus, losing system files. You may try like this:
1. Connect this drive to another healthy computer and check whether there is virus.
2. Use system installation CD to repair your OS.
If these steps failed, there must be some hardware problem, like the RAW.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.