Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pc recovery hangs at random moments

by filipje1993 / December 5, 2010 8:09 PM PST

While installing win7 on my hp pavilion dv7 4010sd, the recovery keeps stopping at random moments: 74% for 20 minutes, 83% for 40, and now on 95% for 70 minutes already, is this normal?
I am using the reset disks i made from the hp recovery diks creator(6 cd's)

There were 3 types of recovery/reset:
System recovery
Factory reset
Minimized disk image

I chose factory reset, or should i have chosen (or choose) an other one?

P.s. It keeps saying:
'estimated time remaining: 4 minutes' while it was 2 minutes at the start of 95%

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc recovery hangs at random moments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc recovery hangs at random moments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's possible
by Jimmy Greystone / December 5, 2010 10:03 PM PST

It's possible it's normal, but I'd suspect more that this is a sign of your HDD starting to die.

Collapse -
weird
by filipje1993 / December 6, 2010 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: It's possible

well, it did work after a while (maybe because I hit the connection button multiple times (but i doubt it))

and its weird for a notebook WITH hdd I bought in september this year, to be too old already...

Collapse -
Weird
by PKsteven / December 6, 2010 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: weird

**and its weird for a notebook WITH hdd I bought in september this year, to be too old already**

Tell that to DOAs. No, it's not that weird, it can happen from a week to "usually" a day or two after warranty has run out.<< Go figure that one.
But yes, it could be the hard drive.

As to your question, it's not odd for it to take a long time and depends how fast your media is being read and how fast your system is installing the OS itself. Most OEMs come with a lot of unnecessary applications that can eat up install time. Some people are saying 3 hours install time.

And yes, I have run across a lot of systems that hang and it seems hitting esc button or anything for that matter sometimes brings it out of it's coma, usually there are reasons for this.

I have to ask, why are you reinstalling so soon to begin with? It may clue us in as to the what and why currently.

Collapse -
weird
by filipje1993 / December 6, 2010 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Weird

not really a reason, I had too much stuff on it, and reinstalling would cost less time then emoveing everything manually

Collapse -
I see
by PKsteven / December 6, 2010 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: weird

Yep, sometimes it's just more efficient to reinstall, although not sure in your case Wink Did it finally reinstall correctly?

I didn't quite think about it prior, but you said you burned the disks, this may highly depend what type, quality and speed you burned at along with what application you used and may contribute to the install times overall.

I suppose as with most, it's a one time only burn chance.

Collapse -
I see
by filipje1993 / December 6, 2010 3:48 PM PST
In reply to: I see

apparently, everytime I reinstall my pc, I get one chance to do it Grin

I finally reinstalled everything correctly yes, with minimized image recovery, which is much faster than the ordinary recovery (HP programs aren't installed = faster boot)

but the recovery partition is not available anymore...

Collapse -
I've seen this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 1:41 AM PST

The owner had some USB printer plugged in during the install.

Let's hope that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
that wasn't the cause
by filipje1993 / December 6, 2010 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: I've seen this.

that wasn't the cause, but thanks anyway

Collapse -
Just a parting comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: that wasn't the cause

For years I've seen the "time remaining" lie.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.