Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC reboots itself every 3 minutes. Help!

by broken249 / June 16, 2008 11:42 AM PDT

I have an Emachines Gateway T3422. I was browsing the Internet when my PC rebooted itself. When it restarted, an error blue screen appeared which read:

?A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you?ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x805D3F2C, 0Xaed9ca98, 0X00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.?

This was my first time seeing this message, there has never been anything wrong with my PC before so I restarted the computer. When it was back on, the screen?s colors looked distorted and there was a pop-up saying that the resolution was too low. But when I tried to change it back, here?s what it said:

?Invalid Display Settings

The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used (?can not? as appeared on the screen). It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers.?

The PC has been continuously restarting itself every 2-3 minutes which makes it impossible to update or do anything. After a few times rebooting, now all it would say is that it's missing some win32 files and to use the Recovery CD (that came with the PC) to re-install those files. But again, because it keeps rebooting itself every 2-3 min, there's not enough time to do anything, and each time it restarted, a blue error screen would appear and said different things.

I did not open any new windows, websites, files, programs when it happened or a few days before that if that matters. What?s wrong with my PC and what should I do now? Please help! (and sorry for the long essay but I'm desperate!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC reboots itself every 3 minutes. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC reboots itself every 3 minutes. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1st step and check
by Willy / June 16, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

I suggest you open your case and inspect for cleanliness. Blow out, vacuum any dust bunnies. Also, place a household fan to blow into the system after cleaning. Once done, start your system, if it settles down and remains on, you have a heat problem from before. Though, you may have further problems with the reboots as it *may* corrupt the OS or boot-up cycle. Excluding any other cause, do all the cleaning first. Report results of these actions.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
unfortunately
by broken249 / June 16, 2008 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: 1st step and check

I did but it still didn't last past 5 minutes...:(

Collapse -
Proceed with UBCD
by Willy / June 16, 2008 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: unfortunately

I now suggest you get your hands on "UBCD" found here:
www.ultimatebootcd.com

Get the version to burn to a CD drive in order to be "bootable", they have the .ISO image(for windows) for that burn process. Once done, you've a bootable CD. On your system be sure to check bios area to edit&save that the 1st bootable device is "CD drive". Once done, proceed to load that UBCD into the system and boot from it. If you can't enter the bios or boot from the CD(verify elsewhere it boots) then you have a h/w problem. If you can boot, use the tests on it to test your system. Use any of the virus checkers, etc. and possible non-destructive HD testing. The whole point if it boots and remains on past 3mins. you got s/w or OS problems. You can then check into that side of the fix, otherwise you have h/w issues and need testing there. Use common sense and return with your results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Reboot/sys32 errors
by Phil Crase / June 16, 2008 10:40 PM PDT

Sounds like a virus, find an OLDER version of NORTON, 2004 OR earlier, preferably earlier and try to boot from that, I know it sounds odd but have seen that old trick work on a few occasions.

Collapse -
Sound about right
by darkzenlord / June 17, 2008 1:57 AM PDT

If it is a virus then theres quite a problem. If there isn't one. Sounds like you need those files. If you have an aftermarket Graphics card remove it. The continuous reboot may be happening from a corrupt DLL access or an actual hardware error. You will want to try to boot in safe mode. Uninstall your graphics drivers for the old card. Then see if the system stablizes. If it does, you know your card was to blame. If you do not have a graphics card installed. There may be a corrupt driver for your onboard. There is very few options after that. You may have to reset the cmos. (requires moving a jumper or pop the battery out) This might address a boot error. You may have to wipe the drive if it continues. It's tough to diagnose these errors because they could be hardware related OR software related. And it's over the internets, so I hope I gave you some form of hope. Please write back with any new developments.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?