HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC Reboots/Freezes

by terrine / April 23, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

Hi!

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop 5BW213, with an Windows ME as OS. It worked fine till the last year when it started rebooting for no reason or freezing. But this happens only when I?m at the internet.
So, here is what I have tried to do so far:
a)checked ram memory-it works fine and it's not lack of it also(I have 64mb)
b)changed my browser, since it?s an internet explorer. But the problem persisted on Opera or any other.
c)Restored my pc 2x(remember I dont have the full isntalation cd) but it persists rebooting or freezing and it does not even gets better after restoring.
d)also not a virus problem (checked manually and with anti-virus)
Does someone have any suggestion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Reboots/Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Reboots/Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:PC Reboots/Freezes
by Stan Chambers / April 23, 2004 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Reboots/Freezes

Hi Terrine: Have you scanned for adware and spyware?
Have you cleaned the dust from the interior of the pc, especially the power supply fan? Also,64 mb is not a lot of memory for Millenium O.S. Another 64mb would help.
You can download (free) ad-aware and spybot from pcworld.com.
Remove the cover of the pc and check for clogged fans (dust).
If the fans are not operating properly, this can cause the pc to overheat and shut down, then re-boot.
Try leaving the cover off the pc and see if there is any change to the pattern.
Last, but not the least, it could be a failing power supply.
Hope this will help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:PC Reboots/Freezes
by terrine / June 8, 2004 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:PC Reboots/Freezes

Hey Ernie,

I?ve already checked for spyware and adware. Also have cleaned the dust from inside. I don't know if it could be a memory problem, for my games go pretty well(games as Harry Potter 1) and I?ve checked the memory in one of those softwares to check it. I just don't get what you want to say with failing poer supply. Can you help?

Thanx,
Terrine

Collapse -
by fgomes / June 4, 2004 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
by terrine / June 8, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

Yes, I did that. There's not much to download though. The only thing I did that worked for one day was to update my video driver. The pc worked fine when I installed it, but the next day it was all over again.
=(

Thanx,
Terrine

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 4, 2004 2:38 AM PDT

The article [Q316894] which is Part 1 of four describes and offers troubleshooting tips in the following areas:

a. I get a message saying The page cannot be displayed.

b. Web pages don't show pictures or play sound.

c. My browser doesn't start at the page I want.

d. Web sites don't remember me.

e. Internet Explorer crashes.

f. I get a message saying You are not authorized to view this page.

g. I need to view a Web page when I can't go on line.

Collapse -
by terrine / June 8, 2004 2:10 PM PDT

Hey,
I checked it ou, but it didn't help. I don't have connection trouble exactly. Anyway...

Thanx

Collapse -
Part2-PC Reboots/Freezes(more info)
by terrine / June 8, 2004 2:21 PM PDT

First, thanks to all suggestions given here. After studying my pc with more details, I can tell you it will always freeze/reboot when I visit certain sites with flash or shockwave, and when I access the windows update site. It will also freeze when I try to print out something directly from a web browser. I've tried installing Windows 2000 and although it was too slow on memory, it would always freeze/reboot exactly on the same sites. The full instalation cd I bought also is not able to make a full instalation, because an error message appears and I have to abort. The error message is:
"CDR104:door open reading drive N.
Abort, retry, fail?"
Is it a cd problem? I have two drives and both are finelly working and I tried doing the instalation in both and it appears the same error.
Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Terrine

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 8, 2004 9:55 PM PDT

I see you have ME and this isn't exactly written for it, so. . .

1. The article [Q323786] provides general troubleshooting steps to isolate problems that are related to video adapter drivers or video subsystems concerning symptoms of display problems as follows:

Computer fails (general protection faults or invalid page faults)
Computer stops responding (hangs)
Printing problems
Unexpected mouse behavior
Unexpected colors
Screen redraw problems

2. Check for conflicts in "Device Manager". In some cases, a hardware conflict may manifest itself as a video problem.

3. The first thing to ensure is that a "device has not been disabled in a hardware profile." Also, please read "Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager (Q133240)".

4. You may use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to determine the video driver versions, provided this tool is installed on the system:

a. Click Start, Run, type the following line exactly as shown, and then either press Enter, or click OK.

c:\program files\directx\setup\dxdiag.exe - (being sure the correct path in the example is used)

Note: Otherwise, use the Windows Find function to see if the file DXInfo.exe is installed on the system. If so, double click it.

b. Click the Display or the Display 1 tab.

c. Under Drivers, note the version number on the Version line.

Note: If multiple video adapters are installed in your computer, repeat #b & #c above to determine the driver versions of each additional video adapter. When finished, click Exit.

5. Set the Windows Standard VGA display option in the Control Panel:

a. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display icon.

b. Click the Settings tab and then click the button labeled, Change Display Type in Win95, or the Advanced... button with Win9x, and select the Adapter tab.

WRITE DOWN ALL INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR CURRENT ADAPTER. YOU MAY NEED TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION LATER.

c. Click the Change button and follow the instruction until you can select Show all devices/hardware for your version of Windows. Be sure you don't use the option to "Search for a better driver.... ." You must set this manually.

d. In the "Manufacturers" box click "Standard" display types. This option should be at the top of the list -- if you can't see it now, scroll upwards.

e. In the "Models" box, click "Standard Display Adapter (VGA)", and then click Next or OK - depending on the Windows version used to ensure the selection made is accurate.

f. Click Close, or whatever to exit that dialogs.

6. While at the Display Properties (Click to see an example screenshot) dialog, click the Settings tab if it's not already in focus.

a. In the Colors palette box, select 256 Colors by using the drop down arrow at the right side.

b. When finished, restart Windows for these changes to take affect.

Note: Then run/use the system and test for problems. If the anomaly disappears, the problem was certainly caused/related to the particular video drivers in use, or is related to the subsystem video adapter itself. Perhaps the drivers are corrupt and require a reinstallation, but I would suggest the manufacturer's site be check for updated drivers first.

7. Consider adjusting the Advanced Graphics Settings (Click to see an example screenshot) a notch lower, or higher and observe the results (Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Performance, Graphics).

8. You can benchmark the system's video performance at various settings to determine the best one to use and for most people, an unscientific test may suffice. If using Windows 98, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Display, Effects and place a check mark in the box labeled, "Show window contents while dragging". Click Apply and then click OK to Exit. This setting gives the video card a good workout. After this, drag several windows around and note whether the movement is jumpy or smooth. Try different resolution settings and color depths (Control Panel, Display, Settings, Colors and Screen Area) and note which setting gives the best movement/result for use.

9. Are there perhaps problems related to DirectX? Supplemental reading:

a. "Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows (Q127139)."
b. "Cannot Change Video Resolution on HP Vectra Computer (Q128703)."
c. "EISA Bus Computer Detects Display Adapter Incorrectly (Q133726)."
d. "Display Problems, Errors, or Computer Locks When Starting Game (Q161961)."
e. "Unable to Select a Higher Screen Area in Display Properties (Q182595)."
f. "Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (Q190900)."
g. "Uninstalling Windows 98 Changes Display Settings (Q207551)."
h. "CDSETUP-Audio and/or Video Problems with Step-By-Step Software (Q238511)."
i. "How to Troubleshoot Audio and Video Issues in Windows Media Player (Q265523)."
j. "How to Force Windows to Use Standard VGA Compatible Driver (Q268852)." (Windows XP)

10. Please read through the article [Q329821] for a general understanding concerning the video adapter types used, particular systems, the subsequent rendering of information by the software/program used, and the result (cause) that may be rendered on your video screen.

Collapse -
by Stan Chambers / June 9, 2004 2:01 PM PDT

Hi Terrine:
This is just my opinion, but I would check your manual to see if the MB can support more memory. If so, I would install at least another 64 mb ram.
As I stated in an earlier post, 64 mb is not a lot of memory for a machine running ME. And, yes, you could be running out of memory while downloading pages on the internet. If several windows are opened at the same time, you can run low on memory and the machine may lock up. You can pick up a 64 mb stick of ram on e-bay (used) for about $10.00, and if it doesn't solve your problem, it will certainly boost the performance of the computer.
Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.