General discussion

PC rebooting on its own

My PC started rebooting on its own about a year ago. It would happen about once a month. Now it is becoming alarmingly often. Sometimes I can be on the PC for hours before it reboots. But removing a flash drive or a memory card adapter (with memory card in it) seems to be the number one way to cause reboot.

Below is the EXACT message I get at time of reboot (was told how to set the message to stay on screen from another tech help site) I also ran a memtest at their suggestion-no problem indicated. I was given so many answers as to the possible problem at the other site, that I wanted to try CNET to see if there might be more of a consenses.

Note: I have not installed any new hardware. And I was told at the other site not to mess around with the BIOS because I could completly disable my PC by doing so.

Error Message
==========================================================
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.Disable BIOS memory options
such as caching or shadowing.If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Techinical information:

*** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xF561D068, 0x00000001, 0x829040F5, 0x00000002)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Beginning dump of physical memory...
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Pysical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.
===========================================================

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PC rebooting on its own
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC rebooting on its own
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What is it?

I see some missing details.

1. What OS?
2. Do we have sad OS CD to use?
3. What PC?
4. Did you reinstall the OS and Drivers when this happened?
5. Did you reinstall the drivers when this happened?
6. Do you suspect a software issue?
7. Did you take Grif's advice at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Hope item 7 finds something.
Bob

- Collapse -
detailed answers provided

Answer to each of your questions Proffitt.

OS-Vista Home Premium
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OS CD-yes (Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit, never been used)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PC-emachines T5226
----------------------------------------------------------------------
No I did not reinstall OS and Drivers.

1)Should I try this before trying #7. (Which is least likely to cause a worse problem?)

2) If I do try this, how do I uninstall Windows, then reinstall with the CD?
Do all my docs, pics, videos, etc get removed? I do have them saved on flash
drives.

3) What happens if the CD is bad and I cannot reinstall Windows? Note: I do have several recent backup HDD images (Acronis) on external drives but presumably they would have the same malware(if that is the problem) in the image.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No I did not reinstall drivers. How do I know which drivers to uninstall then reinstall? Again, is this a good idea to try before #7?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a techie, so I don't know if I should suspect a software issue. (but shouldn't my McAfee have picked up any malware and quarentined it if it was there?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, I have not tried #7. I didn't think of malware as the possible problem. I thought it was probably my hardware (PC going on 4 years). But even if I can do everything in #7 using my PC, I am a little tentative about starting a process that could lock up my PC for good. I am basically a beginner, if my PC locks I will be completely lost.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have to think this over before I try anything.

- Collapse -
Ok, we have the right parts.

As to your questions, we only lose what we don't backup so you're good there. Installing drivers is my suspect item since those are called into play on that eject.

It could be malware but to dig into this any deeper we'd have to look at the EVENT VIEWER after a crash.
Most folk do not want to be their own tech support.

I have a question. Since there are no known ways to lock up a PC for good since we can load an OS or restore from backup out side of a BIOS update and we're not doing that, how do folk get this idea?

--> The driver I would look for at emachines.com for your machine is the one labeled MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET DRIVER PACKAGE or similar. No uninstall required. Just install it and hope it helps.

Bob

- Collapse -
chipset driver

So I went to emachines website and saved "chipset driver" to my PC. I thought I was supposed to click on the file once it was on my hard drive in order to finish the installation. But when I did that my PC went off into infinite new blank windows screens popping up. I had to unplug the PC to get it to stop. Can you tell me, do I need to do anything else to finish the process? Here is how the file reads:

Intel 8.1.1.1010 1.4 MB (on emachines website)

Chipset_Intel_8.1.1.1010_Vistax86_A ZIP File 1,453KB (listed in PC download folder) Note-when I clicked on this file the unending screen openings started

Also here are the other drivers offered for my machine in case I saved the wrong one.

CPU Driver (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) Intel 6.2.1.1002 19.6 MB 10/27/2009
CPU Driver (Intel VIIV Driver) Intel 1.6.429.0 47.3 MB 10/27/2009

- Collapse -
Now that sounds like malware.

"when I clicked on this file the unending screen openings started"

Grif has a fine post on what I would do next -> 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

- Collapse -
back to sqare one

So it looks like I have a malware problem, which leads me back to item 7 on your first response to my reboot problem. Do you have any idea why the McAfee I have installed on my PC would not have detected and quarenteened the malware? I ask because if there is ANY other way to possibly fix this problem, I would prefer that fix OVER item 7 (due to all the techiness involved with item 7).

- Collapse -
That's an easy question.

Thanks for that one. Let's say I'm a virus/malware writer. I would craft my stuff to avoid detection by McAfee and Norton since most users would not scan with other tools.

Item 7 is not techiness. It's how we have to deal with malware on Windows. It's also the reason many folk flip to Mac.
Bob

- Collapse -
malware and McAfee

OK, so item 7 is my only choice. I'll have to put that off for another day for now.

As for malware and McAfee, I thought the whole point of having McAfee is that they would keep up with the various malware and provide protection, and detection, and quarentine malware once it was known. Could it be I have a malware that McAfee is unaware of and that is why it never gets quarentined when I do scans of my PC? Just curious.

- Collapse -
That's a "yup."

Again, let's say you are a malware author. You would test your stuff against the names and if you get by McAfee you are good to go since many of the owners think that's all that is needed.

And some folk think that such protection is so good that they can click on any link without worry.

If you were to ask similar questions in the CNET Spyware Forum you should see other interesting comments.
Bob

- Collapse -
ran the three rkill's

I just ran the 3 rkill's. The only log that showed any "processes terminated" were in the exe rkill. There were six total. It says at the top of the log, "Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you." I don't know if that is a warning to an administrator, or to an end user-i.e. don't post results online.

So I did not copy/past the results of that log for now. But if it is helpful for you Proffitt to help me ascertain if rkill has done any good, and there is nothing bad that can happen by posting it online, then I am more than happy to share the log info.

Finally, I'm guessing now I wait to see if the reboot problem still happens. And if that is the case then I have to do the "long" version of rkill explained in item 7. Please let me know if my assumption is wrong or right.

And thank you for all your help so far!

- Collapse -
Let's check what Grif wrote.

"IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the
Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the
links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and
transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after
running Rkill."

Let me explain why. Rkill kills off some known pests that interfere with the Malwarebytes scan.
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification Please

The first part of item 7 reads:

"If you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get them to work, then fine. But frequently the problem malware prevents the programs from running correctly." I thought the tools referred to in the first line were the rkills.

As I said previously, I did get a list of "processes terminated" on the "rkill exe". The only way I can know if rkill worked is to wait and see if reboot problem pops up again. The "IMMEDIATLY AFTER" part is ONLY when the malware prevents rkill from working.

The way your post reads it sounds like I should have just assumed the rkill would not/did not do the job. And thus I should have done everything listed in item 7.

If that is the case, then I think that the directions posted should just delete the part I quoted above. Otherwise others will assume as I did that they can run the rkills to see if they work. And then if they don't, they can do the rkills again and follow the rest of the directions (flash drive/CD, other computer, MLSBTS & SPRATVRS).

Please let me know if I've misunderstood the item 7 directions.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I see you may not be able to use Grif's method. I found it easy to use but you need more details other than to follow the directions.

I'm sure somewhere someone has written longer explanations about what each step does and why but I don't have them handy.

Let's hope that someone will write them in a reply for you.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks for all your help

I think I got it now. I went back and read your line about what rkills does. It is just a first step to clear out any malware that would affect the ability of Malewarebytes to do its job.

Sorry I missed that, but at this time in my life I take some meds that affect my cognitive abilities (very frustrating). That's why I missed that pertinent info. I want you to know you have NOT wasted your time. I will do EVERYTHING in item 7 next time around. Thanks again!

- Collapse -
That's good to read.

If you find a pest, be sure to write down it's name and post in the CNET Spyware forum with a question like:

"Malwarebyte (or other thing) found the malware BITTYBYE. What is it?"

While the first reply could be "Did you google it?" some might tell you a little more about how it came to roost on the machine and maybe what effects it has.
Bob

- Collapse -
Update on using item 7

So I ran everything through my PC. The tools worked without any hiccups/pests. I'm not sure if that means all malware was detected and quarantined, or if there could still be some malware on my PC that will cause future spontaneous reboots. I guess it's just a wait and see game now.

- Collapse -
reboot still happening

Well, even though I ran the software above, I still have a reboot problem. I have had no reboots when the PC is just running which is good. But it does happen when I plug in, or remove a flash drive. My work around, I put my computer to sleep before plugging in or removing a flash drive. Then I wake it back up after those actions.

- Collapse -
Last thoughts.

1. Pretend this is a new motherboard install and install the motherboard driver package then any USB driver the maker offers.

2. Reinstall the OS cleanly.

I re-read the above and can't find any more clues to look into.
Bob

- Collapse -
Something to try

Based on an experience I recently had with a computer, try removing the RAM and reinserted it. If you have canned air give the slots a shot of air and then reinsert the moduals. At the very least it gives you something new to try.

@
\)/
Rose

- Collapse -
RAM solution

Well my PC just rebooted again, and this time there was no flash drive involved. SO I guess I'll try the RAM suggestion. I do not have an air can, is it OK to blow on the area, or is that not a good idea. Also are there any special precautions I should take when handling the RAM.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I think I am looking at having to buy a new PC. The PC before this one (4 years ago) started doing the exact same thing, until one day I couldn't bring it back after the reboot and error message.

- Collapse -
Something to try

No don't blow on it. LOL If you don't have canned air that's OK, still try removing the RAM and then inserting it back. Obliviously you want to follow regular safe practice before you go inside the case. Make sure the machine is unplugged from the wall and touch some unpainted medal before placing your hands inside.

As how to do it, here are a couple of sites. They of course tell you how to remove the old and replace with the new but you will be replacing with the same

http://images.crucial.com/pdf/dimm_install.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/how_6774094_removing-replacing-memory-dell.html

As I said it's worth a try, not guaranteeing anything. It's worked for me in the past on a machine someone was ready to throw away.

@
\)/

Rose

CNET Forums