HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

PC randomly restarts

by radar19 / July 17, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

I'm in a bit of pickle with my new computer. It keeps shuting off and restarting for no reason, after turning off the auto-reboot option I keep getting BSOD'd. Normally with the generic error message. However the last two times I kept getting a BSOD with BAD_POOL_HEADER on the 3rd or 4th line down.

I've been told it could be a number of different things wrong with it. Overheating, bad mobo, faulty PSU, bad RAM etc. I've checked the mobo for defects and bad capictors and they all seem ok. Its had a fresh install of Windows XP pro, I did a memtest and after about 2 hours it came up with 2 errors with the RAM. The CPU temps according to Speedfan are running at 36-43'C depending on load (this is with the side of the case off and a small deskfan blowing inside the case). With the side panel placed back, core temp 1 and 2 were into the 40s with a little red arrow pointing up. Its got a stock AMD heatsink and fan on it, however the case has no fan on it. The actual PC is about 4 years old but its new to me.

The specs are:

AMD Althon 3500+ (2.2Ghz 64bit)
Asus motherboard (dont know the model)
Nivida GeForce 5700
2 Sticks of 512mb ATL RAM
Maxtor 80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Pro
230V PSU (dont know the wattage)

Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC randomly restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC randomly restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: PC randomly restarts

Is the case cover off and the dust bunnies moved out? And with the cover off and that fan there, did it still reboot?

Also, since it reboots I wonder if you can tell us the 10 or so drivers you installed after you installed XP. It's not unusual to find a driver that was forgotten.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks for replying
by radar19 / July 17, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

The case has been cleaned out, it has restarted on a few occasions with the side off and a fan blowing into the case.

the drivers that were installed, the CD-rom and DVD-RW drivers were installed I think, the graphics card driver, mobo driver, Wireless card driver. Thats all I can remember,

Collapse -
The ones I'd look for next are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for replying

The chipset drivers. Notice the first 3 drivers are all about that at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=271360&messageID=2699006#2699006

If you can supply the make, model of the mainboard I might find these.

Also, my kids older machine continued to reboot oddly (rarely) for months until I figured out it was the audio driver. You can test for that by disabling the onboard sound.

One last thing. Did you refresh the CPU heatsink "compound"? I would.
Bob

Collapse -
motherboard model
by radar19 / July 17, 2008 2:31 AM PDT

Where would I find the motherboard model. The motherboard is made by Asus.

In reguards to the heatsink, I have reasons to suspect this as it was kinda dusty before I cleaned it. I havent got any thermal paste so I cant take the heatsink off to see.

Collapse -
Another idea
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard model

I have an AMD 64 socket 754 system and my random reboots ended when I moved some USB things off the onboard USB connections. That was my clue a driver wasn't quite right. Oddly the PCI USB 2.0 card that I moved them to worked fine.

OK, how to identify the motherboard. You have the visual method and you can try BELARC ADVISOR and the free version of EVEREST.
Bob

Collapse -
a dodgy driver then?
by radar19 / July 17, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Another idea

I do have a usb 2.0 card plugged in but not installed. could this be the problem?

Collapse -
(NT) Tip: Unplug things not used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: a dodgy driver then?
Collapse -
usb card
by radar19 / July 17, 2008 4:29 AM PDT

I've removed the usb card, going to find out what the mobo model is.

Collapse -
board model
by radar19 / July 17, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: usb card

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Rev 1.xx

From that Belarc system scanner thing. I think it might be a bum card because I have taken that USB card out and so far no restarts.
Temps are at 40-43'C

Collapse -
Then don't fix it...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: board model

Someone told me that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.