HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

PC purchase advice - Dell 9100

by m02499 / July 22, 2005 4:24 AM PDT

I am considering purchasing a Dell 9100 with the specs shown below. I primarily use this as a home office machine, but also do some multimedia encoding and burning. I play games occasionally, but not often, but might play more in the future. I can get this for around $1500. Any thoughts or advice? I know from reading the board some hate Dell, but I have used them for work and they seem to be fairly reliable. Lastly, this is probably more machine then I need at the time, but I want this sucker to last at least 3-4 years without having to replace it. Thanks.

Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC purchase advice - Dell 9100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC purchase advice - Dell 9100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If building your own isn't for you, yes, go with this
by AKonny47 / July 22, 2005 5:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
If you going to buy Dell...
by reddog345 / July 22, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

If you are buying from the home division of Dell, I wouldn't recommend it.

Dell Consumer Ratings: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

But if is is the Small Business division, then I would recommend it, as I had no problems with systems at work or in school.

Collapse -
Reseller Ratings is not a good judgement for
by John Robie / July 22, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

computer company comparisons. It may be good for rating individual items or stores, but not comparing Dell against others companies. For instance who is the best pick if ResellerRating is used...appears to be Dell:

Dell 3.83
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

Gateway 2.25
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2053.html

Emachine 2.59
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1195.html

Sony 3.35
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1640.html

HP and Pavilion could not be rated as Reseller Ratings gives ratings of 233 individual stores for HP, and 595 stores for Pavilion.

I usually don't have confidence in these type comparisons, because most people who are satisfied do not write in. The ones that appear in a actual company review appear to be sorted by the company to show their good side or best foot forward.

Dell is the largest producer of computers in the world and would naturally have a lot of complaints, but percentage wise is no different than any other company. The off shore support is a big current complaint against Dell.

JR
I do not own a Dell and have no stock/connections what-so-ever with any computer company.

I do

Collapse -
re: 9100
by m02499 / July 22, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

Everyone thanks for your input. I agree that some of these ratings cannot be trusted in that typically the folks that post to these boards are the ones that are dissatisfied and not the ones that are happy. I am not an expert, but from what I have read the 9100 seems like a decent machine and the price seems reasonable for this configuration. I just wanted to get some expert advice from board members before making the purchase.

Collapse -
Regardless
by Alan Copeland / July 22, 2005 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re: 9100

of negative press one way or the other, I would also look at the HP Pavilion line. I have had prettty good luck with HP and their offshore support.

Collapse -
re: HP
by m02499 / July 22, 2005 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Regardless

The other machine I had my eyes on was the HP d4100y which received good reviews on Cnet and PCmagazine. The reason I am strongly considering the Dell is I think the price is good for the configuration I stated. I also get besides the usual Dell discount a small discount because the company I work for has an employee discount program with Dell which saves me about an additional $100.

Collapse -
Dell 9100
by John Robie / July 22, 2005 7:43 AM PDT

Dell is no worst than any other company. They are the largest producers of computers in the world, so naturally percentage wise will get more complainers. Their off-shore support leaves something to be desired, but there can be a workaround.

Dell will change their online prices and supposedly 'free' give-aways every week, usually or Wednesdays and Thursdays. The shuffle goes on that I have observed for several years, and if you miss a good deal this week, like a 'free' 17" or 19" LCD, or DVD upgrade or RAM upgrade, or Hard Drive upgrade, or free shipping, just wait awhile, some several weeks and the deal you wanted will come by again.

The 9100 series are Dell's latest Dual Core w/64-bit and can be configured (customized) quite well.

You may want to also look at both Gateway and HP/Pavilion new dual core (EM64T) offerings with comparable prices. Local weekly sales (Sunday Flyers) at Best Buy, Circuity City, and CompUSA usually have some very good buys at reasonable prices with combinations of LCD or CRT Monitors and color Printers.

Collapse -
Dell 9100
by Steve_R / July 22, 2005 2:10 PM PDT

m02499

I've previously owned two Dells and have never had
a problem with them. I'm about to order a Dell 9111
configured very closely to what you described. If you
buy retail you get the configuration they have on shelf.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.