General discussion

pc processor question?

ok i want to know what the difference between intel core i5, intel core i7 and amd phenom 2.

which one of the 3 is better for gaming and why

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: pc processor question?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: pc processor question?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry.
- Collapse -
Not strictly true.

A combination of CPU and GPU performance determines how a game will play.

- Collapse -
Which is true.

But you stopped short of the long answer or a web reference on the topic.

Let me add this. No CPU can overcome a poor GPU choice.

- Collapse -
Bob is mostly correct.

Many people believe that their system performance is based solely on their CPU and RAM. This really depends on what you're doing with your PC. If you're editting video using a photo program like Photoshop or Corel then your CPU and RAM are priority in system performance. Now gaming enters a different world of spec. If you have a half decent graphic card say 650mhz/512gddr2 ram (the faster and more ram/faster ram the better) you probably have little idea of what kind of processing power you have on that card. GPUs are beasts. they far outperform CPUs on every level, they are true parallel processors. Here is a link to an excellent video by The Mythbusters showing the difference between GPUs and CPUs on a grand scale.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvision08_gpu_v_cpu.html

So it's great to have a beast under the hood to manage the graphics but how can it communicate effeiciently with the rest of the system? This is where a fast CPU comes in. The faster the CPU core(s) the faster is can send/recieve data from the GPU. I believe (personally) AMD have had the edge over Intel for a long time with this factor. AMD's Hypertransport is ideal for handling huge data shifting.
Basically if gaming is your thing think GPU first but having a good CPU to handle all the other stuff that's going on while you play is also a must.

- Collapse -
i7 + 512MB GPU

i5 + 512MB GPU will be fairly decent. i7 + 1G GPU will be good. Just my two cents worth.

- Collapse -
Ever wanted to build a kit car? Or prefer off the shelf?

The biggest advantage of AMD in general is their processirs are way, way cheaper. That's the simplest concept sorted. I have had Intels, AMDs for years, both are brilliant, both do the job. If you now go into the realm of versatility AMD wins hands over. The simple idea of buying an AM2+ motherboard which supports mulitple processor types AM2/AM2+ and AM3 means you have a large, very large selection of processors to choose from that will all fit the board, from $50 - $200. Intel is a little more restrictive. If you want to change processor then sometimes you have to change your motherboard.
So AMD, in my subject title...is the kit car. Choose your model and put whatever engine you want in it. Intel choose your model but you only have certain options about the engine.
Hope this link will help...
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx

CNET Forums