HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

Question

PC problem

by tattoono1 / June 3, 2011 2:57 AM PDT

I had the same PC for over 5 years. It stopped working while I was using it.

I started taking everything out and started with just PSU MB and CPU only. Here is where im confused... Motherboard will boot and stay on when I unplug the 4pin 12v connector.

So i took out the CPU and here is what happens...
* PC boots and stays on when CPU is out 4pin connector is in
** PC starts for a quick sec. but then goes off when CPU is in & or 4pin connector is in.

Whats causing my pc to do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I don't much to work with here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: PC problem

It sounds as if you have figured out it's either the PSU, motherboard or CPU but want some test to figure out which.

Sadly the CPU test is to put the CPU into another working system.

The PSU test, most of the time is to use a Volt Meter and power up the PSU using the GREEN WIRE METHOD then check the voltages. HOWEVER this is a partial test since it can't tell you if the PSU works under load. For that we swap in another PSU.

Now that we have tested 2 of the 3 parts we can, at this point guess if it is or is not the motherboard.

--> Worth noting at 5 years is the BAD CAPS issue. Google BAD CAPS so you know what to look for.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by tattoono1 / June 3, 2011 5:10 AM PDT

Well from what i understand the MB can not work without the CPU right?
But the PC fan & the CPU fan are both working when I hit the power button, so im guessing it can work on new PCs?

Anyways so it looks like (PSU+MB) together work... then I add the (CPU or the 4pin connector) and it cause the PC to boot for a sec. then stops
My CPU looks ok. I dont think anything happen to it yet trying to start my PC with (PSU MB and CPU) shows that having the (CPU in or the 4pin connector in) makes it work for a sec. then stop

From what I read it does that to save my hardware from any damage.
I dont have any tools to test each one of these 3 parts alone and I dont have another PC to switch parts with to test them that way.

*Maybe its clear that its my CPU but I'm thinking if a hardware break in a PC it should be easy to see the damage on it or some sort of a burn of some sort?
**But then again can it be the PSU and it only stops when the CPU is added or the 4pin connector is plugged in?

Collapse -
Well from what i understand the MB can not work without the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

"Well from what i understand the MB can not work without the CPU right?"

Define "work"! For years we could and still can do some minor diagnostic work with just the motherboard and PSU laid on on cardboard and a jumper to power up these 2 parts. It doesn't tell us much but a power up can tell us that it's not a full on dead short and the power up circuit (that one that runs from the power on switch to the GREEN WIRE on ATX PSUs) "works."

The 4 pin connector is interesting but is not part of our diagnostics.
Bob

Collapse -
work
by tattoono1 / June 3, 2011 5:37 AM PDT

I mean by work... the power light is on the PC and CPU fan are working and the PSU keeps on going.

If I add the CPU and unplug the 4pin it works
If I take the CPU and plug the 4pin back in it works.

If both 4pin and CPU are in it stops a sec. after it starts

Collapse -
Sounds like you are down to 3 parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2011 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: work

Let me share the other tech shop rule. When you are down to some number of suspect parts and you can't tell which is bad, change the cheapest part first. It may not be the right one but it was the cheapest part. Proceed to the next cheapest part until the system works.

Hope this helps you along.

We've already covered the Volt Meter GREEN WIRE test, BAD CAPS yet you didn't tell how your parts fared.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
CPU
by tattoono1 / June 7, 2011 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: PC problem

When i looked into this more. I found out that its a very clear sign that its my CPU. My question now is...

I was looking into buying an (i5 processor) and my CPU right now is (Intel Core 2 Duo processor)... Are the sockets and pins the same or do i need a different motherboard for (i5)?

My PC is...
HP Pavilion m7680y customizable Media Center TV PC
? Motherboard: is Asus (I can get the info for it if its important)
? Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz)
? SDRAM: 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel (2x1024)

Collapse -
That motherboard
by lacsr / June 7, 2011 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.