Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

pc problem

by id_866 / January 16, 2010 10:59 PM PST

i am having windows xp,i am using asus P5GCMX motherboard,i am having three hard disks 1. 160 gb sata 2. 160 gb ide 3. 40 gb ide

1.i have connected 160 gb sata hdd to sata connector
2.i have bought ide to sata converter and connected my 160 gb ide to sata connector in motherboard
3.i have connected my 40 gb ide hdd with dvd drive in ide connector

so i am experiencing problem like often either 40 gb hdd or dvd drive not detecting while booting in bios,i have connected properly in ide connector

why this is happening?
anyway to solve?
and sometimes cables gone out,i have changed four cables in 6 months

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pc problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pc problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's cover the 5 design life issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: pc problem

While many hard drives exceed 5 years of age the ugly truth is that we are using 5 year design life parts. That 40GB is too likely to be over 5 years old so get what you can off it and think about moving it to some USB case for occasional use. That's what I did and it's a "don't count on it" usb 40GB stick.

I see geeks.com sells a 750GB drive for 55 bucks so by the GB that 40GB is worth about 3 bucks. No great loss.

I'd eject the 40GB and put the DVD as master on the master connection of the shiny 80 conductor IDE cable.
Bob

Collapse -
removed 40 gb hdd
by id_866 / January 17, 2010 12:56 PM PST

Now i formatted my pc and reinstalled thew windows xp.i removed the 40 gb hdd from my pc.now i have one 250 gb sata hdd,another 160 gb sata hdd which have windows xp installed and sony sata dvd writer.again beep sound came and the 250 gb hdd got disconnected automatically after some 5 hours.what may be the problem

Collapse -
Beeps, disconnects
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2010 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: removed 40 gb hdd

Point to cable, power, motherboard, bios issues almost all the time. Pulling that 40GB out was a good move in my opinion.

The problem of XP and SATA will haunt owners for at least another decade (when I think most will give up?) But for me I try the IDE emulation first since XP and SATA drivers are too time consuming and finicky for me to waste time on that.

Bob

Collapse -
Another issue
by id_866 / January 17, 2010 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Beeps, disconnects

i am unable to use my 250 gb hdd now.because scan disk is keep on runnning on the 250 gb hdd partitions whenever i log into windows and the 250 gb drive automatically disconnected from my computer.but the 250 gb drive detected in BIOS.please help

Collapse -
Same issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2010 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Another issue

I noted the usual causes but can't see where you address them.

Collapse -
Fine
by id_866 / January 20, 2010 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue.

That's fine.now i gave that hard disk for free service..now i am getting new problem.my pc temperature normally starts at 45 to 50 degrees and it goes to 75 degrees at sometime.is this normal or not?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.