HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC Problem?

by Playboy_X / November 26, 2009 6:41 PM PST

I checked BIOS on Harddrive it says its connected [SATA(bunchofnumbers)].. But when I ever try to get to the Windows XP setup it doesn't go, it's just a black screen saying 'Error operator system'

and when I unplug the (red/black/yellow) wires I can access the Windows XP Setup... It's weird.. but it seems like everything is plugged in perfectly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: PC problem
by Kees Bakker / November 26, 2009 6:54 PM PST
In reply to: PC Problem?

You might need to tell a little bit more.

Such as:
- your exact disk configuration (how many IDE and SATA disks)
- the exact error message (for the message you quote you're the only hit in google; that's amazing isn't it, your post already is in google with the time stamp "2 minutes ago")
- how you access the Windows XP setup
- why you access the Windows XP setup
- what version of Windows XP (original, SP1, SP2, SP3)

Also please download a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu or so) and boot from that. What does it say about your hard disk?

Kees

Collapse -
by Playboy_X / November 26, 2009 7:16 PM PST
In reply to: Re: PC problem

- SATA HD (250GB) x Just one installed into this PC
- I get to the stage where it should just manually go and setup but instead it turns into a black screen of death with a text message saying 'Error operator system loading'
Also; In order BIOS Boot Setup

actually in order;

1; CD-Rom
2; HD
3; Floppy-disk

- When I unplug the SATA HD, I can access the Windows XP Setup but I can't reformat because HD isn't plugged in/detected.
- I need it to access the Windows XP setup to install a legal version of Windows XP, my current HD has not OS it was sent un-formatted at my request.
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 2002

Perhaps I should take a pictures of the computer, to check if everyone is plugged in correctly (Will make this easier)

Collapse -
Re: error
by Kees Bakker / November 26, 2009 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: reply

Your error message is still unique in Google. Could it be that it's
- "operating" in stead of "operator"?
- another sequence: "error loading operating system" in stead of "error operating system loading"?
Just asking.

Obviously something is wrong with either the disk or the way you connected it. Did you try Linux already? That might give a much more understandable error.

By the way, "just manually go and setup" doesn't say much. It seems somewhere at the start. Did it load all drivers? Did it ask you questions already?

Posting a pic somewhere and linking to it (be sure it shows both the power connection and the data connection) might help.

Kees

Collapse -
I think I see the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2009 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: PC Problem?

It looks like you are attempting to install XP onto a SATA drive.

That issue has been discussed to death. Google this PHRASE!!!

How to install XP to a SATA HARD DRIVE

Now you see the problem and how many solve it. I can't guess which method you want to use or if you would accept the BIOS change (if the machine supports that?) or have to use the F6 FLOPPY method.

And no, it is not easy or else you wouldn't find thousands (some million?) posts about this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.