Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

PC Power Supply Question

by Sisuwolf / March 27, 2014 4:25 AM PDT

I have a very old power supply that I suspect is about to go. I am going to get a replacement power supply. This is the one that I am thinking of getting.

Power Supply:
FSP 450W
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104132

Will it work with my motherboard?

Motherboard:
Gigabyte G41M-Combo
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128449

Are there any other compatibility issues I need to worry about?

Sisuwolf has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Power Supply Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Power Supply Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
More Question
by Sisuwolf / March 27, 2014 11:45 AM PDT

Found out that my current setup is using 3 SATA power connections, and the MB uses a 24 pin and a 4 pin. The replacement power supply has the 3 SATA connections, and the 24 pin and I'm guessing the 4+4 pin it has will cover the 4 pin on the MB and just leave the other 4 hanging. Also it fits in my case.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before buying?

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: More Question

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Sisuwolf

Collapse -
More details
by Willy / March 27, 2014 6:33 AM PDT

You need to check the decal on the current PSU mounted. That will offer the model# and allow you to google to check specs. I *ASSUME* since you gave a mtrbd. to search for that the PC case its mounted in is a std. one and thus generic and pretty much allows replacement PSU that are generic in size for an std. ATX-12V 20-pin or 20+4pin connection will do OK. YOU have to search that out as the FSP 450w is generic and basic at best and provide all the connections you require/need.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
More Questions
by Sisuwolf / March 27, 2014 11:38 AM PDT

Found out that my current setup is using 3 SATA power connections, and the MB uses a 24 pin and a 4 pin. The replacement power supply has the 3 SATA connections, and the 24 pin and I'm guessing the 4+4 pin it has will cover the 4 pin on the MB and just leave the other 4 hanging. Also it fits in my case.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before buying?

Collapse -
Appears OK, but...
by Willy / March 27, 2014 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: More Questions

On the surface it looks like it's proper for your setup. What we always advise is that if you need it have the extra wattage. Your new PSU will be 450W, but that's only on peak demands and it isn't intended to always supply that. If you're buying because of price, then look at others in the 500W or more and realize it will work, it uses only what it needs. BUT! the sustained power output will be easier and generally won't work as hard as a less wattage PSU. In other words the extra $ is well spend for a decent PSU. Besides what is already stated, find the 80+ rating and 2-fan operation and less not forget "single rail" output, the FSP 450w probably is that. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?