General discussion

PC power problem when using DVD or CD drive

My PC was great until 3 days ago when my power supply died. Installed a new one and in 2 minutes this one also went out (luckily it has over-voltage protection and hasn't died.) I had to find what was shorting the supply out. After all kinds of testing, I find that everything works fine unless I have either of my DVD drives powered and connected. The power supply goes out whether the DVD drives are connected to IDE1 or IDE2. I pulled out an old CD drive and also tried that on both IDE1 and IDE2. This also caused the power supply to shut down. If the DVD drives are powered but not connected to the bus, everything is still fine (although this means their motors aren't spinning). Again, I can use everything on my PC (all cards and hard drive) but powering and connecting a CD/DVD drive overloads and shuts down the power supply. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate them.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: PC power problem when using DVD or CD drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PC power problem when using DVD or CD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What size power supply

What size power supply did you buy?

How much memory, what processor, how many hard drives and what other boards are in your system?

Did you get at least a 400Watt power supply?

- Collapse -
Re: power supply problem

New supply is 350W (old was 300W.) Have 1G DDR, 2Ghz P4, 100G Hdd and have video, sound, USB and tuner cards. Everything had been running OK for 6 mos with all cards installed. I'm trying to track down what blew out the first power supply (and is shorting out the new one.)

- Collapse -
Seems likely that it is shutting down

to excessive inrush current. [the locked rotor current of drives contributes to the inrush current] Doubt that OVP circuits are firing.

You need a higher wattage supply, as Jeff said.

Could be that the overcurrent sensing circuits are malfuncting. Either way, need a new supply, so get a higher wattage [and quality unit].

If the overcurrent sensing was faulty they might replace the supply, but proving it would be difficult.

- Collapse -
Power supply

Originally supply was supposedly 300W and new supply is supposedly 350W. Do you think it's possible that the new supply is really putting out less than the old?

- Collapse -
Absolutely.

Tom's hardware.com has many articles about power supplies. I don't bother with anything other than 450W and my desktop pounder has the p4 3.0ee CPU and a 680W PSU. Not that it needs it, but it makes this a non-issue.

Read http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info