Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC power light on but no power??????

by kc_tinman / November 8, 2004 9:18 AM PST

couple days ago my pc (windows 98 gateway) started freezing up occassionally & only option was to unplug. Well when I plugged back in & pressed power button the light on the front comes on but no fans are running, no sounds at all. I have to unplug & try a couple times b4 it will work. Now I'm waiting for it to come on,,,, the other night it came on about 30 minutes after the power was turned on. Any ideas on help? I appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC power light on but no power??????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC power light on but no power??????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The front panel light is
by Ray Harinec / November 8, 2004 9:48 AM PST

normally powered from the main 5 volt bus, thus it coming on when nothing else does is a little odd.

Could be that the power supply comes on with 5 volts and the 12 volts is not coming on.

Re the turn off procedure. When it freezes do you try to turn it off by holding the power button in for 4 to 5 secomds?? That should turn it off. [if it is an ATX type of sustem]

The unplugging and replugging may be confusing things. In an ATX system after the computer is turned off normally [or by holding the power button in to turn off] there STILL IS power applied to the mobo. The power is the 5 volt logic voltage that keeps the system in the mode to be able to turn on by LAN or any of the power management schemes. Any time that the powewr supply is plugged into a live outlet that 5 volts is present on the mobo. When you unplug the AC Power from the supply you remove the 5 volt logic power. When you plug it back in you should wait about 20 seconds before trying to turn on [allows the capacitors to get charged.

In your case it seems that the turn on logic of the mobo is not working properly.

Try the turn off by holding the power switch in for 5 seconds.

Also go into the BIOS and set the power management to user define and then do not enable any of the options. see if that changes anything.

The light coming on while nothing else comes on is definitely unusual.

Collapse -
Re: The front panel light is
by kc_tinman / November 8, 2004 10:22 AM PST

I have not tried holding the power button for 5 secs. Will try if I can ever get it to come on again.

Collapse -
Re: The front panel light is
by kc_tinman / November 8, 2004 11:14 AM PST

I have not tried holding the power button for 5 secs. Will try if I can ever get it to come on again.

Collapse -
Only way to troubleshoot would
by Ray Harinec / November 8, 2004 1:28 PM PST

seem to be remove and replace. Certainly say try another Power Supply. While doing that, check that all the fana are clean of dust bunnies and try to see if there is any sign that the CPU fan has not been working. [some signs that the CPU may be overheating].

Also check the large capacitors around the CPU for signs of being puffed up or leaking goo at the base.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.