General discussion

PC Overheating???

by GleasSpty / January 1, 2009 7:06 AM PST

I don't know if it will be helpful, but it can't hurt so here are my specs:

Property Value
CPU Full Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz
Display Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB
Memory x2 Mushkin 1 GB DDR2 333MHz

If any other info would be helpful just asked.
Also, the laptop was purchased in March, so is less than 1yr old.

So here's the problem. I usually leave my computer on overnight for various tasks, e.g. running virus scans, and I had never had any problems. Then, a couple weeks ago, maybe the week of the 15th, I woke up to find out that my computer was off. A little odd, but I didn't think much of it, so I pressed the power button but it didn't turn on. A little scared, I decided to take the battery out for about 5-10 sec and see what happened. I put the battery back in and everything worked perfeclty. I figured it was just a freak incident and went on with my day. But the next day I woke up to find the very same thing, and this has repeated extremely regularly every single night since.

Eventually I realized that the system would just totally crash, no normal shutdown or anything within basically the same hour every night. After looking at the system log, a couple of times recently that is has crashed are

02:06:11 on 31/12
02:59:08 on 30/12
(29/12 was a freak day I didnt have my normal schedule so I won't report the time here)
02:12:02 on 28/12

I wake up at about the same time everyday, so I figured it was crashing about the same time every night because for whatever reason the system would only stay on for approximately the same time every day, so I checked the respective boot times in the system log and found:

10:30:00 on 30/12
11:26:55 on 29/12
10:18:47 on 27/12

A little math (assuming I did the arithmetic right) said that the system was on:

15.6031 hr on 30/12
15.53694 hr on 29/12
15.8875 hr on 27/12

before crashing.

To me, those numbers are amazingly close.

Anyways, I knew I had set up my antivirus program (AVG) to perofrm a system scan everynight at 2:00:00, so given the times I recorded, it seemed logical that the scan might somehow trigger the shutdown, so I performed a little experiment.

If the AVG scan was causing the crash, then if I performed the scan during the day that should also cause it to crash. But no, nothing. Yeseterady I did the scan midday and everything worked perfectlly, no crashes, nothing. I also decided to see what disabling the system scan at night would do, so I disabled the scan last night. I woke up the for the first time in weeks today to find out that my computer had no crashed, so I figured that, for whatever reason, the AVG scan caused the laptop to crash but only during the night (pretty weird if you ask me). But as I was doing some work this morning, my computer crashed around 11:30. For whatever reason, not perforing the scan only prolonged the priod of time which the computer wanted to stay on without crashing.

I then suspsected that the problem might be caused by overheating, and that the scan led the computer to overheat itself faster, so not peforming the scan would increase the time it takes for the computer to heat up (this explanation doesn't seem perfect to me, but it's the best I can come up with now). So I clocked my proceesor's temps this afternoon after the crash to find:

core 1 temp: 87 degrees C (189 degrees F)
core 2 temp: 86 degrees C (187 degress F)
HDD temp: 51 degrees C (124 degrees F)

After a little bit of reserach, it seems clear to me that my computer is hotter than it should be (agree / disagree with me here?). But I don't see if overheating were the problem how the crashes could follow so regular a pattern.

Is overheating the culprit? If not, what could it be? And most importanlty, what the can I do to fix the problem?

This was kind of a long post, so thanks a bunch for taking the time to read it and help me out!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Overheating???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Overheating???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd extend that warranty for years if you can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: PC Overheating???

Type 8600M DEFECT on google to find out the story. This laptop would be a no sale to people I run with.

Sorry to hear you are having issues but this sort of machine should run hot and my best advice is to get as many years of warranty as you can.
Bob

Collapse -
8600M Defect
by GleasSpty / January 1, 2009 3:33 PM PST

I've been reading a little bit about the 8600M defect and apparenlty I should be experiencing symptoms that have to do with the video output, but I havne't notcied any such problems.

Are you saying that the problem I have now is related to the 8600M defect, or just that I should extend my warranty because in all likelihood I'm goign to be having problems later?

Collapse -
The defect extends to outright crashes and heat issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: 8600M Defect

I will not enter into a deep discussion about this issue. It's a big issue and my advice is to make the warranty calls soon, often and extend that warranty before its too late. There is no fix known to what you are reporting short of a fix by the machine's maker.

Sorry to shortchange you here but you have a problem machine and need to spend time with the right folk (the makers.)

I'm also sorry to read more failures around this chipset. All I can do is warn and advise on the warranty. If it falls out of warranty you don't want to know how much to fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by GleasSpty / January 1, 2009 4:23 PM PST
In reply to: PC Overheating???

I stayed up tonight to check the temp. of my CPU when the scan started. I woudlnt've expected this, but the core temps both shot up to 95 degrees C when the scan started, and hopped back down to 79 a couple minutes after I paused it.

It seems clear to me that the problem is overheating, and for whatever reason now the scan is causing my PC to overheat where it never did before.

Any idea as to why the scan would overheat it at night but not during the day (I'll have to go back and check the temps during a scan when the computer hasn't been on as long)? And why would all of the sudden the scans cause it to overheat when I had been scanning basiclaly everynight since I bought the thing back in march? And most importanlty, what can I do to fix this?

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Update

The makers are swapping motherboards. It is unlikely you'll be doing that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.