Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

pc not recognizing usb 2.0 as 2.0!

by la3333 / January 7, 2006 7:03 AM PST

hello,

I installed a 6 (1 internal, 5 external) hub usb 2.0 card on my pc.
it is a PIII 800mhz, running xp professional SP2 with 752mb ram.

I thought it was working fine, but I plugged in two devices to them, a wd backup external hdd, and a dazzle hi-speed usb 2.0 memory card reader/writer.

now, when I either turn them on, or turn the computer on with them plugged in, i get a yellow baloon on the bottom right with this message (paraphrazed):

''this device can work faster if you plug it into a usb 2.0 hub. Click here for a list of available hubs.''

when I hit that, it seems to show the ones they are plugged in (the computer has 8usb ports. two 1.1's that came with the pc, and the 6 (one internal) that I installed and where these devices are plugged into).
Now,I know those devices are plugged into the 2.0 card I put in.
I tried to look online for some kind of usb speed check, much like you find for internet speed connection, to compare the 1.1's to the 2.0's, but had no luck.

does anyone have any suggestions on this.
If I am getting the usb 1.1 and could get it to work as fast as the usb2.0, it would make backing up the computer and writing/transfering memory cards much faster.
I also looked under device manager and it does say "enhanced usb", so that looks fine!
thank you for your help.
L.A.

(not really sure if this is the appropriate forum, if it should be under another topic, please let me know.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pc not recognizing usb 2.0 as 2.0!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pc not recognizing usb 2.0 as 2.0!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
device not recognizning usb 2 ports
by cpa2222 / November 17, 2006 5:53 PM PST

i didnt see any threads from your question. I am having the same problem and it is on an IBM thinkpad. Did you ever get your problem fixed? and if so, how? thanks

Collapse -
Did the card come with an installation CD?
by retired / November 19, 2006 8:50 PM PST

If your MOBO is 1.0 or 1.1 only you will need to use the disk.

Collapse -
Re: 2.0
by WhyFi / November 22, 2006 12:11 PM PST

Drivers, man, drivers.

Collapse -
The one missing detail...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2006 12:30 PM PST

Motherboard make/model or even the chipset.

There were a few that needed drivers. For now you should peruse http://www.usbman.com

Sorry I can't help.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!