Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC not performing as well as it should?

by Invader Bugs / January 11, 2010 11:31 PM PST

Hey everyone, I've been getting really frustrated with my current laptop lately. I wouldn't say the components are the best, but they're not terrible either. I have:

Dell Inspiron E1505 (from winter 2006)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz
2GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 - 256mb
Recent clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium

For whatever reason, it seems my laptop is just not performing as well as it should, and once did. Sometimes it runs just fine, other times it just doesn't, and all while using the same programs. Sometimes it will run fine with Firefox with multiple tabs open, Zune software playing music, and AIM. But other times it struggles to run Firefox with one tab. I even have Windows 7's theme as the basic one. I have recently defragged the HDD and cleaned out all the fans, and the problem still exists. If anyone has any tips at all (aside from just getting a new system) that would be great. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC not performing as well as it should?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC not performing as well as it should?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you installed Windows
by Jimmy Greystone / January 12, 2010 12:24 AM PST

When you installed Windows, did you remember to install all the necessary drivers post-install?

Collapse -
Re: When you installed Windows
by Invader Bugs / January 12, 2010 12:47 AM PST

Yes I did. But even if I didn't would not having all the drivers installed effect performance like this? Right now it's running just fine, but just moments ago it was maxed out, but nothing has changed in the software that was open.

Collapse -
So then
by Jimmy Greystone / January 12, 2010 1:22 AM PST

So then my next questions would be what you do to prevent viruses and other malware. Using Firefox is a good start, but what else do you do? Have you scanned your system for viruses and malware? Have you installed all updates? Do you have a firewall of some sort enabled, either the Windows firewall or some other? Do you use file sharing/P2P programs such as Kazaa, Limewire, and Bittorrent?

Collapse -
Re: So then
by Invader Bugs / January 12, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: So then

Well, yeah, as you mentioned, I do use Firefox. Windows Update says I'm all up to date. I do not have any file sharing programs. Windows firewall is always enabled. And I use Windows Security Essentials for my anti-virus, with a weekly scan on Mondays.

Collapse -
One other thing
by Jimmy Greystone / January 12, 2010 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: So then

One other thing to check, is your power plan settings, specifically related to how they affect the CPU.

You might also just be stuck waiting for the disk indexer to do its thing, and it'll settle down in a couple of days.

I just got a Dell Studio XPS 8000 system with a Core i7 870 and 8GB of RAM, and even with that system the disk indexer can cause an occasional little hiccup. The first day or two I had to just keep that in mind as I'd be trying to type something and the craptastic Microsoft keyboard software would end up getting preempted by something and either cause a delay in what I was typing, or just drop letters or whole words.

If the system is old enough to still have IDE drives, you'll want to make sure it's running in DMA mode.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!