Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC not 'discoverable' on Bluetooth

by jnyb / January 27, 2010 10:23 PM PST

I setup my cellphone to communicate with my PC. My PC can access my cell but my cell can't find my PC even though 'discovery' is turned on ! Prior to downloading XP3, it worked fine.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC not 'discoverable' on Bluetooth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC not 'discoverable' on Bluetooth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2010 10:37 PM PST

Did you turn it off in the PC? I really mean this. I've lost count how many times I had to turn that off, reboot then turn it back on for it to work.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Cell phone can't 'discover' PC when in Bluetooth.
by jnyb / January 28, 2010 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Just checking.

I thank you for your suggestion. It didn't seem to work. You appear to have more knowledge about PCs than I do, so I will ask you what I might be doing wrong. My PC bonds with my Razor V3, but when I try to find the PC with my cell, it can't find it. Yet, my cell finds my automobile's bluetooth easily! My son seems to think that there may be a block in the PC's security.

Thanks....Joe

Collapse -
I may not know that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 12:59 AM PST

Yes I am authoring some Bluetooth app the is on PalmOS, Windows and Windows Mobile but the stock XP doesn't block this. I bet Norton might but I don't use that so I would be clueless about that.

If there is some security suite installed, ask them about it. It doesn't matter it worked before because they update theirs all the time.

XP SP3 BT is fine here on my HP Mini 1000.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth problem
by jnyb / January 28, 2010 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: I may not know that.

How ironic ! That's what I'm using. An HP mini. I travel with it.
I was hoping to be able to use my cell phone to access my ISP in case I find myself in an area with no Wifi. I do appreciate your couragous effort, and I thank you. I will contact Microsoft about my problem.

Have a good day....Joe

Collapse -
Say. Now that we both have a HP Mini, XP SP3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: Bluetooth problem

And Bluetooth. TRACK THIS THREAD.

The office has many phones so maybe, if you share the model (I got Nokia) maybe I could borrow one.

Tell a little more and I'll test it here.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth Problem
by jnyb / January 28, 2010 11:30 PM PST

Bob, I uae a Motorola Razr V3. I must admit, the HP mini is a recent adition. My main computer is a Toshiba Cosmio and my second is a Dell 5100. After I loaded SP3 into these two, I lost the ability to connect to my ISP through my cellphone. All three units have XP SP3, and they all do the same thing. I can call my ISP but when the computer answers, my computer(s) drops and says that the ISP computer did not answer. When I contacted Microsoft, they told me that the problem was in the cellphone and that I should call my service provider; in other words, "don't bother us". I did contact AT&T wireless and was told that I did not have network service! What a crock! Any thoughts?
Joe

Collapse -
Ooops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Bluetooth Problem

I didn't know this was a tether issue. I read above about discovering the PC which I am more than willing to discuss but even I know that tethering is something I never want to be on the receiving end of a support call. They have been changing the rules and yes, they now want a data plan. And they have the power to kill access to that so I know that while I can cover most bluetooth connect issues, tethering is not something I will discuss. At least I know my limits.

If you don't have a data plan, expect trouble.

Ok, why not go back to what works? I can't help you with tethering but I can (again) write about discovery.
Bob

Collapse -
Bluetooth
by jnyb / January 29, 2010 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Ooops.

Ok. Thanks Bob....Joe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?