Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PC monitor will not shut down after screensaver loads

by tboi88 / November 11, 2010 12:56 PM PST

I set my monitor to shut down minutes after the screensaver activates but once the monitor goes to shut off it goes through the motions but does not power down. This occurs with any screensaver I try. I've researced on the internet to no avail. When Im not running screensaver the monitor shuts down with no problem. I even tried the power settings in Manage. Nothing. Please help. thx in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC monitor will not shut down after screensaver loads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC monitor will not shut down after screensaver loads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too little to work with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2010 7:02 PM PST

I read your post carefully for the machine details but came up short. Try this. Reinstall the OS and add your stuff one by one until it breaks. Next time skip the item or setting that breaks this feature.
Bob

Collapse -
something to work with
by tboi88 / November 11, 2010 7:54 PM PST

anything less tedious?

Details:
A8v-E Deluxe Motherboard
AMD 3800+ x2 Processor
4GB Corsair RAM
Radeon x700
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Windows XP SP3

Collapse -
XP would have issues with that system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2010 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: something to work with

And it might have worked until updates and who knows which driver was changed. This is why you want to watch for such and system restore when it happens and not the week or two later.

The 4GB RAM gives XP trouble with hibernate and sleep on some machines. I find I have to pull it back down to 1 or 2GB on some machines if installing the usual motherboard chipset, video and audio drivers don't help.

Be nice to those owners that update to the latest drivers. I know it's a craze but the advice stands -> Don't update drivers if everything is working.
Bob

Collapse -
There is a bug
by Jimmy Greystone / November 11, 2010 8:55 PM PST

There is a bug in XP's power management features that will probably never be fixed.

Sometimes it just "forgets" what settings are applied. You can go and check that the settings are correct, and they will be, but they won't take effect regardless. And for reasons I could never pin down, it will only affect some systems, not others. And it's not a hardware issue. I worked at a job where I had two identical model systems with the same hardware and software. One would periodically get hit by this bug, the other wouldn't.

The only work around I found, was to slightly alter your power saving settings. So if the monitor is set to be put into power save mode after say 20 minutes, change it to 19 or 21 minutes. That will generally work until for whatever reason this bug strikes again and you have to start over.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!