Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PC Mightymax 2010-Rouge Ware Or Not??

by SLorraine / July 6, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

Today my husband paid for PC Mightymax 2010 for both our computers and installed them to each computer. My husband does not do research or reviews about products before he downloads anything. I always do and I have less problems with my computer than he does with his. We both are running Vista on our computers,so I guess the answer here would cover both of us. I use Firefox and he uses IE.

Since he installed PC Mightymax 2010 on my computer, I did a lot of research about this program. There was over 20 thousand results on Google that this was a rouge program. Now I am very concerned--and especially because from everything I have read this is one tough program to remove from your computer. It seems that most of the complaints I have read about this being spyware/malware has been concerning the trail version. We did not get the trail version, we got the paid version, so I am wondering if their complaints would be valid with the paid program. The first thing that happened when my husband tried to run PC Mightymax 2010 on my computer was that my Ad-Aware running in my system tray prevented it from running--stated it was maleware. My husband insisted it was not and that it was the best program out there for fixing the registry. It said he had over 600 registry errors on his computer and it said I had over 200. After my husband went to work, I went to C-net and put a search in the download section to see what was being said about it if it was listed on the download site. The editor gave this program 3 stars and never once mentioned anything about it being rouge ware. I have always, personally, downloaded all my software from C-net because it is the only site I really trust not to post any software with spyware, malware, etc. So now I am throughly confused as weather this program is a rouge program or not--according to the C-net editor it did not sound like it but there are an awfully lot of complaints about it all over the Internet. Anyone know which evaluation of this software is the correct evaluation?
Thanks in advance,
Sheila

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Mightymax 2010-Rouge Ware Or Not??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Mightymax 2010-Rouge Ware Or Not??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sheila, it's a Rogue Program
by Donna Buenaventura / July 6, 2010 2:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
Why is this software listed in the download section?
by SLorraine / July 6, 2010 5:17 PM PDT

Donna, what I don't understand is why C-net has this listed in the download section if it is a rouge program. C-net has a good reputation and it is not like them to post a rouge software on their site. My husband swears it has fixed some bad problems that he had with his PC. I have only read some good reviews (very few) on other sites about this program, but most reviews of this program were pretty bad. I doubt my husband will be able to get a refund if this company will sell fake software. Now if I can only find him proof positive that this software is dangerous so I can convince him to get rid of it!
Thanks for your help,
Sheila

Collapse -
Sheila, Not sure why they have it there..

but you can request deletion or report or re-review or investigation on the said program by going to http://cnet.custhelp.com while you are login using your CNET account.

I suggest to show to your husband the following site:
http://hosts-file.net/default.asp?s=pcmightymax.net
Classification: FSA - sites engaged in the selling or distribution of bogus or fraudulent applications

The MVPS hosts file also have this rogue site/program in its database:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
# [P]
127.0.0.1 p090303.info #[ScamFraudAlert.Pharmacy]
127.0.0.1 www.pagecounters.com
127.0.0.1 www.pagerank10.co.uk
127.0.0.1 paidstats.com
127.0.0.1 ad1.pamedia.com.au
127.0.0.1 ad2.pamedia.com.au
127.0.0.1 counter.paradise.net.nz
127.0.0.1 img.parked.ru #[Parking Service]
127.0.0.1 park.parkingpanel.com
127.0.0.1 banners.partypartners.com
127.0.0.1 stats.partypoker.com #[WebBug]
127.0.0.1 ads.pastemagazine.com
127.0.0.1 stat.pchome.net
127.0.0.1 pcmightymax.net
127.0.0.1 www.pcmightymax.net

If your husband want to keep it, we can only hope it won't do damage as what others have experienced. The people who maintain the said hosts file will not block something that is not proven by them as rogue program. Web of Trust also will change its reputation if it was proven by the PC Mighty Max that they are not rogue vendor but as you can see, the comments were there for 2 years now. If the vendor is really providing good program, he'll do what he have to do to clear his name by contacting hosts file creators and WOT.

SiteAdvisor have it a green but as you may have seen already, the Trusted Reviewer in SiteAdvisor program has given this program a red rating:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/pcmightymax.net

Using registry cleaner or tune up software using untrusted or known rogue is dangerous. It is better to use a trusted software like CCleaner to clean up and maintain the system. Then defrag regularly.

Collapse -
PC Mightymax 2010
by SLorraine / July 7, 2010 12:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're welcome, Sheila.
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Mightymax 2010

And thanks for the time you'll spend in reporting to the Download.com Team Happy

Collapse -
Download Team?
by SLorraine / July 7, 2010 1:46 AM PDT

I think I reported it to the wrong person. I could not find any reference on who to report this to, so I went to a page that listed a lot of editors and selected one I thought might be appropriate. But I was dismayed to see the statement that these people get hundreds of emails and might not see my email for a long time. As I type this, I see on the left side of my screen a place that says, "CNet Download.com site feedback. Is this the link I am suppose to click on to report this rouge program?
Thanks,
Sheila

Collapse -
Sorry that I failed to provide the complete guide.
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Download Team?

In http://cnet.custhelp.com/
Click "Email Support" tab.
In "Category", please select "CNET Downloads" then select "Malware and Viruses"
Type a "Subject" and enter your report in the details section.
Proceed to submit

Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the link & instructions
by SLorraine / July 7, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

Donna thanks for the information and I will use it. It is a good thing you posted this information because I just got a email from the person I emailed about this and it was an auto-responder saying he would be out of the office until the middle of July some times--must be on vacation.
Thank you,
Sheila

Collapse -
(NT) YW. Sheila!
by Donna Buenaventura / July 7, 2010 11:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
PC Mightly Max: Rogue program and web-site
by suzy395 / July 9, 2011 9:02 AM PDT

I know it is a full year later but I just finished a full scan of my desktop computer using MBAM. It found pcmighty max.exe in my Downloads and tagged it as "rogue" and advised it be removed, and that is just what I did. I truly don't even recall downloading it, but like I said, it was over a full year ago! Well, it's GONE now! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!