PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Pc memory stick beginner advice?

Hello all, my brother has just bought and installed a pc memory stick that gives me around 75GB extra memory. I have no idea about the internal workings of a pc so he bought and installed the stick for me. He has told me that the stick has been installed properly. How can I access that new memory from my pc? Does the stick automatcally create a new disk drive in 'My Coputer?' Where can I find the memory stick memory information on Windows xp? How do I save things to the stick instead of the my harddrive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pc memory stick beginner advice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pc memory stick beginner advice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not ask your brother?

In reply to: Pc memory stick beginner advice?

To be sure it is installed properly, your brother must have tried it, so it seems logical to me he showed you that it worked correctly and how to use it.

I assume it isn't a flash drive, but something with a (rather large) hard disk inside. And I assume it's just a drive letter (maybe d:, maybe g:) in My Computer. So saving or moving anything to it can be done by selecting the g:-drive in stead of the c:-drive. And you can move or copy anything to it using My Computer or Windows Explorer like you copy or move to any other drive.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
memory stick

In reply to: Why not ask your brother?

Hello again, my brother is on vacation for two weeks and I have no way of contacting him. I have no idea what type of memory stick he used or what brand, I don't even have the manual. I have just checked My Computer and there is no new driver listed. Has anybody got any ideas? Has it installed correctly?

shane

Collapse -
Seems like it didn't install correctly.

In reply to: memory stick

I'm afraid it is impossible to say more about it with the information you give.

It might even be a second internal hard disk in stead of an external device. And it might be, for example, that it still has to be partitioned and formatted using Disk Management. That should be in the manual.

Nothing much to do but wait till your brother returns. Or bring it to a local shop and let them fix it. If they see it, they will know what to do with it to get it up and running.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree with Kees

In reply to: Seems like it didn't install correctly.

The info you have given us is rather confusing. You keep referring to a memory stick, also known as RAM or random access memory which(very briefly) only increases the working area for running programs and other functions it is not for storage. so my question is did he install extra RAM or an internal hard drive. do you see any components outside the computer like sitting on the desktop somewhere with wires going to the computer. If not he installed an extra Hard drive internally. right click MY Computer and click Manage. On The windows that opens click Disk management and see if there is a new drive there. Right click the drive and click initiate. when that is done you will need to format the drive.

Collapse -
new memory

In reply to: I agree with Kees

Hello again, there is no new external hard drive sitting anywhere on my pc. I have just tried the 'Manage' option on My Computer and it only lists my original c hard drive and dvd player. It looks like I will have to wait for my brother to come home.

Shane

Collapse -
new memory

In reply to: new memory

Hello again, I have just solved the problem! My brother actually installed an updated graphics card that came with its own memory. That's why I could not find any new hard drive info on my pc.

Thanks for all the help

Shane

Collapse -
Hey Shane, Thanks for posting back

In reply to: new memory

That's a pretty interesting discovery. The Larger video card will not give you any extra storage space but it should give you a little better performance for video functions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.