Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC Maintenance Suite: Not sure what is my best option

Hi everyone. I am looking for a comprehensive suite which will keep my PC in top shape. I was looking at a few of the 5 star rated (on cnet/download.com) applications, but I am not sure what I need for my XP MCE machine. Do I need to get a dedicated "registry cleaner" as well as an overall maintenance utility, or is there a suite or application that will do it all? Thanks, James

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Maintenance Suite: Not sure what is my best option
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Maintenance Suite: Not sure what is my best option
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PC Maintenance Suite

In reply to: PC Maintenance Suite: Not sure what is my best option

Have a look Here In addition, you don't really need a registry cleaner, but if you want one try a free one, EasyCleaner I just use CCleaner to clean junk stuff, run my ''anti'' stuff and defrag from time to time. I just use the free stuff from Download.com
Good Luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Suites aren't worth it

All those programs that claim to do this or that to keep your system running well are a crock. There's only a few simple things you need do to ensure a smooth running system.

1: Avoid use of Internet Explorer as much as humanly possible. This cuts off 95% or better of all malware at the knees, which depend on people using Internet Explorer to infest a system. Opera or Mozilla Firefox should be used in its stead. Any IE-based browser, such as Maxathon, should be avoided as if it were IE itself.

2: Avoid all file sharing programs. Most of the content on these networks is virus laden, be it intentionally so or a byproduct of someone else's carelessness. These programs often also come bundled with some sort of malware.

3: Keep on top of all security patches. The one exception to the no-IE rule, is every second tuesday when Microsoft releases new security updates.

4: Avoid pirated programs. It's impossible to tell whether there's a hidden payload included with the changes that stripped out any security checks in the program.

5: Avoid using Outlook or Outlook Express. The main problem with these programs is the ease at which spammers can use them to determine yours is a valid email address and drown you in a deluge of spam. They also are vulnerable to Internet Explorer issues as a result of their use of Internet Explorer code. There are dozens, if not hundreds, or other email programs to choose from, many even free.

You don't need defragmenting programs, registry cleaners, or things of that nature. Those five simple guidelines, strictly adhered to, will keep your system running smoothly far better than relying on a suite of programs. Most of which serve no real useful purpose, and half of which are likely designed to try and contain the mess that inevitably results from prolonged use of Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Mike stated some good points

In reply to: Suites aren't worth it

But just as an FYI, I exclusively use Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Have for years. The only time I had a problem was about 'five' years ago, when I didn't know about needing some type of 'anti-virus or anti-spyware programs and I got a virus. Since then, I have not had ''any'' problems. I have reformatted my computer twice, in those five years. Once after many years of installing and uninstalling this and that. And again, recently, just because I wanted too. But anyway, I would not spend money for anything. There are too many free programs that you can use. I would try and stay away from any ''Beta'' programs. Sometimes they cause problems.
Only a suggestion,
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Pc Maintnance

Well i am going to say first you can't believe everything you read on Cnet as with programs Cnet.com used to be a resourceful webpage for programs,but they post every program good or bad,they get payed for this,its the place for programmers to advertise their programs.They will tell you anything about a program and even if it doesn't work,there are many programs on Cnet that are half crocked programs,the ones you are looking at lets take for instance i am thinking of the right programs Advanced SystemCare what a great program this USED to be,i used to use it like the holy grail,then they went and started selling parts of it under the Pro Version,so if you want to use certain things you'll have to start paying for them.System Mechanic I wouldn't touch this program if you gave it to me for a gift,i was just reading where a person said they had this program and a few weeks before he was to update his license it went down,didn't update or do anything,funny that is what happened to me.System Mechanic will beat you over the head until you get their payed version.I wish Advanced Systemcare would go back to their old days,then i would recommend that program to you.As far as other ones i don't know the other ones and can't really say they are any better or worse than these programs that are suppose to be the great ones.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.