Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

PC-Laptop-XP-Vista-Win7 Decisions

by donnajpro / May 28, 2009 11:11 AM PDT

Hello Happy I would like some input to help me make purchase and OS decisions. I've already gotten excellent suggestions and information from a previous post on buying a new laptop.

I have a Desktop circa 2005 running (slow but I typically toggle between 3-5 programs plus Internet when I work) on an XP Pro SP2 OS, lots of hard disk room, and plenty of RAM. But it's slow all the same.

I'm looking to purchase a new laptop and have decided it will probably be the Acer TravelMate, a 64 bit model. I will have the XP option, but do I want to do that?

I'm not afraid to go Vista but am thinking delayed gratification and waiting for Win7 might be best in the long run as I don't really want to waste my time on extraneous learning, driver-checking and software replacement curve even though I've read Win7 will supposedly be accommodating apps written for Vista.

Meanwhile, unless I downgrade the laptop to XP, my laptop and PC won't be able to communicate with each other without some sort of server mediating the process. There are apps on my XP machine(s) that are not being maintained or rewritten. When XP goes, there goes some of my programs that I will need to open the files I created with them going back a kazillion years in my projects.

Help!

Thanks,
Donna

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC-Laptop-XP-Vista-Win7 Decisions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC-Laptop-XP-Vista-Win7 Decisions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd visit our Windows 7 forum but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

My thoughts are to hang tough till Windows 7. The reasons to stick with XP are not in your post. The most common is you have a printer, scanner that you will not replace.
Bob

Collapse -
Reasons to stick with XP
by donnajpro / May 29, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

My Epson stylus-style printer is practically brand new, probably Vista-ready but was way cheap, so that is probably a disposable issue.

My issue with Vista/WIn7 versus XP revolves around older programs that may not run in the new OS environment.

Happy But of course I can try them, and if they do run, I can upgrade my PC as well. For now, the reviewers seem to be indicating that besides being (at this point) a more reliable OX, XP will be around until 2012 -- that's the last projection I read.

I used to beta test for Microsoft years ago. I did my time. I don't go there anymore -- I let others do it now. In that time period, I had a job in the industry - database programming. So my head space was always primed to deal with trouble-shooting and I knew what was what practically all of the time.

But when you don't use it, you lose it, so now I'm a very rusty user, not a power user -- hence the need to network with users and Microsoft mvp's cruising the newsgroups to give help where needed.

Collapse -
I'm running Windows 7 RC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

The verdict here is all good. Many Epsons will be just fine. I can't comment on yours (no model number.)

And as to trouble. This is not like Vista or other betas. Take it from me that this is nothing like the bad old days.

As to networking. It works fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Running Windows 7 RC
by donnajpro / May 29, 2009 11:34 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. My printer is a little Epson stylus CX8400. I got a refurb at Frye's for $30. I don't characteristically use a printer very much. Or a fax, copier or scanner either for that matter.

I'm glad to hear I've misunderstood what I've read in terms of the computers talking to one another. And it does sound like I should be patient and wait for Windows 7.

Collapse -
The CX8400 is an EscP2 printer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2009 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Running Windows 7 RC
Collapse -
If I were you I would stay away from the
by orlbuckeye / May 28, 2009 11:58 PM PDT

XP 64 bit solution. XP 64 bit has way less support then VIsta ever did.

Collapse -
I'm in a similar situation
by johnnutz / May 29, 2009 12:55 AM PDT

I recently purchased a sony vaio Sr (its in the mail!) that comes loaded with vista but is packaged with a XP Professional (32bit) downgrade disc. I'm planning on installing XP. I know the OS and don't want the headaches that come with Vista. Besides XP actually outperforms Vista on a number of benchmark tests.

Collapse -
Similar Situation
by donnajpro / May 29, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

As I said, I have been tempted to go that route. But time marches on and so does technology. If not for Windows 7 coming out soon I would certainly install the XP downgrade OS. Reports on Vista sound like users have made the best of a disappointing situation and the OS is working tolerably well but not necessarily efficiently. That's not a recommendation that inspires me to pry myself off of XP.

My Sony VAIO is a loved and appreciated member of my family, but the features on the Acers will serve my purposes for having a laptop.

Collapse -
Why would you think that...
by H-bound / May 29, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

"unless I downgrade the laptop to XP, my laptop and PC won't be able to communicate with each other without some sort of server mediating the process"

I'm running two machines w/ XP Home SP3, one w/ XP Pro SP3, one w/ Linux (Ubuntu) and one w/ Windows 7 RC and there's no problem sharing files/printing within my network (the XP Pro box "owns" the only printer/scannner in my house)
All I needed to do was tweak the sahre settings on the Win7RC box

Collapse -
Why I would think that (no communication w/ XP machine)
by donnajpro / May 29, 2009 9:25 AM PDT

Well I read that in a recent review article (sorry, can't remember which one), but perhaps I misread it. It was my distinct impression I could not network my new [Vista or Win7] laptop with my current XP desktop.

And also to respond to one answer to my original post up there, my reasons for sticking with XP on my desktop I did state was to preserve programs and their data files that will probably not run on Vista/Win7.

I may be not comprehending the true facts of the situation, which is why I am asking questions in this forum. Thanks, all Happy

Collapse -
Just found this
by H-bound / June 1, 2009 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
What type of apps are not being rewritten or
by orlbuckeye / May 29, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

maintained anymore? Do you know those apps don't run in Vista? Typically XP programs will run in Vista fine. The problem programs are those that are dependent on OS functions like HD utilites and Security suites.

Collapse -
Apps not functional on Vista
by donnajpro / May 29, 2009 9:32 AM PDT

Yes, a friend of mine bought a new laptop with Vista on it (hmmm I don't know if it's perhaps a Mac or something - I should ask him). We use a program called Sky Chart III by Southern Stars, a product that was sold and incorporated into a slightly higher-end program, so it is not being maintained and updated anymore. But it's good for what we do with it, which isn't all that much.

There are a couple of other astronomy/planetarium programs out there that do not include Vista in the list of OSes their software is probably good to be installed on.

Happy

Collapse -
You can connect Vista to XP
by imanym / June 10, 2009 2:00 PM PDT

Hello,
I am a programmer so I need a lot of environments to test and impliment on various platforms. Currently at home I have (for work and play)a Vista Business laptop and an XP Professional Desktop (The box is used as a server no monitor connected). I use my vista laptop to connect to the XP Professional machine. I believe the problem in regards to communicating remotely is the other way around, communicating from XP to Vista. My laptop, I also use at work and the VPN is not compatible with VISTA, so I have Parallels Virtual Desktop which allows me to create an XP environment on top of my Vista layer, so not only am I able to use my VPN, I am able to maintain a true XP environment. Besides that, Vista is a blast. Since I spend sooo much time in front of a computer screen I need the new shiney environments to keep me motivated and keep my experience exciting.

I use many applications on my laptop and it works very well,
My specs are as follows:
HP 6910P
Pentium Core Duo 2.20 Ghz
4 gig Ram
160 Gig HD
Parallel uses a 32 Gig partition for the XP os but I have it set to expand up to 32 gigs. I payed for Parallels, but I know years ago Microsoft had a free Virtual application, I was having some problems with it and determined that paying for a app would provide me with more support. I hope this help, I know when I am looking to purchase a machine, my biggest concerns are can this machine handle enterprise software packages as Visual Studios/ SQL Server, Oracle, etc....... so in all I hope this was helpfull.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!