PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PC keeps shuttingitself off! Help!

by spdorsey / June 12, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

I built a PC using an Intel Mobo, 1GB ram, 2 HDs (1 IDE, 1 SATA), An Nvidia 6800 PCIE video card, 2 optical drives, and a 600 watt power supply.

The PC shuts off when I play Battlefield Vietnam (the only game on it). If I use Maya, no shut down.

I tend to think that 600 watts is enough. I also tend to think that BF Vietnam is much more demanding on the video card than Maya is, with BFV's constant refreshing of gazillions of polygons , textures, and physics.

What could be shutting my computer off? This is driving me nuts!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC keeps shuttingitself off! Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC keeps shuttingitself off! Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a 680 Watt on my desktop machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

But that's sheer overkill and because I didn't want that to be the issue. My bet is your issue is heat related. Try this simple test -> Leave the case cover off.

What happens?

Collapse -
Right on - I'll remove a cover
by spdorsey / June 12, 2005 2:26 AM PDT

I have the stock fan that came with the new P4 on it (not the old P4 fan). the case has a big fan and 2 small ones.

Collapse -
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

There is just no way it's that 600 watt powersupply's fault...

It's probably software. Something wrong with Windows, maybe a program conflict? Battlefield Vietnam is very graphics light compared to most other recent games. My one year old 2.6Ghz Celeron easily gets 60fps on it. So, it just can't be the hardware...

Collapse -
i will agree with dagger
by AKonny47 / June 12, 2005 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: o_O

i have bfv, and it is not demanding!!! trust me, even with ati x300se, which i used to game on, it could easily pull over 60 fps even on all highest settings and high resolution. bf2 runs a lot better than bfv also, i dunno why. Happy

Collapse -
Right on - I'll remove a cover
by jcrobso / June 14, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

Your case has 3 fans but if they don't move cool into the caes and hot air out they are doing nothing.
Where are the fans and are they ins or outs. John

Collapse -
by spdorsey / May 19, 2006 4:35 AM PDT

I kept using my P4 3.06 with the 6800GT AGP card for games and maya. The tower that kept shutting itself off is still doing so no matter how I load Windows, and no matter how I cool it. There's something going on with the hardware.

I can use the machine for Maya rendering, it seems to do ok then. But it will never play games. A waste of $1000 that I'll never see again because it's out of warranty.

Collapse -
Try SPEEDFAN.....download install and monitor the TEMPs
by VAPCMD / May 19, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: UPDATE

let us know.

Collapse -
What a defeatist. Most likely your CPU
by Ray Harinec / May 19, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

is simply overheating and you are in luck because it shuts itself off to prevent it form frying the CPU.

Tell us about the CPU, the HSF, any case fans etc and let us know what temps speed fan reports.

Probably learn a little about cooling systems and be totally happy again.

Collapse -
Let me note this..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

A friend had such a system. While they swore up and down they tried everything I noted, they finally let me look at the hardware. I found they didn't pop off the CPU HeatSink Fan (HSF) to put a little more compound there but merely "looked at it" without removal to check if the install was done proper.

In fact there was no compound between CPU and HSF.

The machine now lives on....

Collapse -
Heat Heat Heat
by lucky76 / May 20, 2006 2:39 AM PDT

Take the side cover off and set a 20" fan beside it and turn it on. Now try it. Does it shutdown now?

Collapse -
Shutting off.
by mazzan00 / May 19, 2006 3:46 PM PDT

All power Supplies are not created equal. Just because it says it is 600W, doesn't mean it is. With that video card, and any higher end card, I would guess that it is a power supply problem. More than likely on the 12v rails. Try equlizing the load on the power supply output, paying attention to the feed to the vid. card. If it is Y'd or run from another card, then allow it it's own 12v feed. It also could just be a faulity PS.

Collapse -
hi firstlyy..
by awkuan / May 20, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

hi actually one thing i know is that how can u give a 600 w to cpu with ups support supply & that if u use 1 gb ram processors for dual processors the support to processors must be of dvd type ram that means either sata type of ram or other, first once uninstall vietnam game and choose to install in non os drive that means drive which u installed os(xp or other), and once rollback u r windows softwares with latest software available in xp users & once run u r os(xp or other) in safe mode & then after rebooting run in normal mode and i think here u r problem solves.........

Collapse -
shutting off or restarting?
by kellystp / May 20, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

just wondering... does it shut off or does it restart? if it shuts off, can you turn it on right away without trouble?

Collapse -
Shutting down
by WAArnold / May 21, 2006 5:31 AM PDT

Everything you have mentioned so far seems well within any expectation of a good system. The 600 power supply is overkill unless the supply is defective.

All the cooling fans you have are fine and dandy except that you should ensure you have some pulling cool air into the case and some pulling hot air out of the case. I would use two of those fans to pull air in and put the other two in the back to blow the hot air out along with the power supply one that is also blowing hot air out.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the RAM. Just because your RAM works well with one game does not mean it will work well with another. One RAM module might work well with one module and refuse to work well with another. Not a real common occurence but reality anyway.

I do believe you have found your problem though as you mentioned the heat sink. I would suspect it was originally installed wrong. When you finally took it off to put some compound in, the heatsink was replaced correctly thus your problem is probably gone now. You will also notice that most heatsinks you receive do, in fact, have compound pre-applied and should suffice unless you rub part of it off during installation.

I would be interested to hear your solution.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?