PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PC Keeps Restarting Everytime

Hello, this is my first post. I have a continuous problem with my PC. It keeps restarting itself.

PC SPECS:
- XP Professional
- 2.20ghz
- 400w PSU
- 80gig Hard Drive
- DVDRW Drive
- 2 x 512 DDR Ram
- ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Card
- Linksys Wireless Network Adaptor
- Firewire PCI Card

Everytime I try and do something on my PC it restarts itself. For example if i play a game, if i burn a CD/DVD. i have a DVD creating software that came with the firewire card that i use to burn homemade DVDs (well i try to anyway) and during the burning process, it restarts. i have a gut feeling that its my 400w PSU. i'm saying this because it has thermal control. ive tryed to disable thermal control in my BIOS, but i cant get to that specific setting.

What really gets to me is that when i try and change my screen resolution from display settings, it restarts. Sad

i have a strong feeling that its my PSU. Help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC Keeps Restarting Everytime
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC Keeps Restarting Everytime
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
virus

In reply to: PC Keeps Restarting Everytime

save ur files and then restore ur os

i had the same problem on my gateway. i asked gateway support and they said its a virus and i said that norton didnt find it? i cleared my hard drive and it never restarted by itself again Happy

konny

Collapse -
Tried Many Times

In reply to: virus

I have actually formatted my computer many times. i have even put a new hard drive in. same problem.

Collapse -
o snap lol

In reply to: Tried Many Times

alright thats querky if i may say. i would trust ur gut and try replacing the power supply, go antec or another high quality brand. i got antec true 480, it is unbeliebably silent, my 120mm fans r louder than it! Happy

konny

Collapse -
You've got to be kidding me!

In reply to: o snap lol

How can 400watt power supply not be enough? Don't listen to him!

Chances are, there's something wrong with the motherboard. Such things are what usually cause crashes when the load gets heavy.

Collapse -
There are cases where it may not be enough.

In reply to: You've got to be kidding me!

But the post is too slim on details to call it either way.

-> The one area you learn never to skimp is the power supply.

Bob

Collapse -
Amen to that

In reply to: There are cases where it may not be enough.

Like tires & brakes, never skimp on the power supply. Those "400 watt" ain't necessarily so.

Collapse -
RE:

Overheating processor perhaps. 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 not pentium 4 right? If it is an AMD Athon 64 that could be your issue. Try to get at least 2 case fans for your computer and make sure your heatsink/fan are properly situated on the processor. A good way to lower temps and cheap is to apply arctic silver 5 compound.
Roger

Collapse -
What exactly is "arctic silver 5 compound?" o_O

In reply to: RE:

Is that like a hair regrowth forumla?

Collapse -
To answer with a question.

In reply to: What exactly is "arctic silver 5 compound?" o_O

"What is Google?" or rather, using google.com I find what this item is.

Have you discovered this search engine yet?

No offense, but your posts tend to make you seem new to PCs.

Bob

Collapse -
Gooey gooey goo...

In reply to: To answer with a question.

So you're supposed to put some kind of gooey goo on your cpu... ^_____^

Collapse -
An example Google. How to install the CPU heatsink.

In reply to: Gooey gooey goo...

Collapse -
How to apply the gooey goo...

In reply to: An example Google. How to install the CPU heatsink.

Seriously, does it even work?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It Works

In reply to: How to apply the gooey goo...

Collapse -
An example of thermal conduction.

In reply to: How to apply the gooey goo...

Before I start, if you are to offer advice in forums this basic principle would not be a question from you. Time to ask for help and learn more.

-> The issue for thermal paste is simple. Any small air gap will not conduct heat very well. The paste/goo fills in that gap and the heat moves.

Bob

Collapse -
PC Keeps Restarting Everytime

After reading all the posts. I would try the a new PSU as the first thing to do. John

Collapse -
New PSU

thanks john, i thought of doing that myself. currently i have a 400w PSU, should i get another 400w PSU or something bigger. And if i do buy a new one, what are the chances of the problem continuing?

Collapse -
I wouldn't yet.

In reply to: New PSU

It was that sorry other person that derailed us a little. For now you can just lighten the load by dropping back to 1 hard disk, 1 CD or DVD drive and leaving the case cover off to see if its heat or power related.

Be sure to keep an eye open for any bulging or leaking motherboard capacitors.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: I wouldn't yet.

capaciters.....??? Sorry but thats a new term for me. explain!

Collapse -
Capacitors

In reply to: ...

Capacitors look like little ''batteries'' or ''cylinders'' on the motherboard. When the motherboard is subject to overheating or a short occurs, the capacitors will appear bulged or in extreme cases, will burst and leak on to the board causing a multitude of problems.When this happens you need to replace the motherboard. This happened to my system a while ago, I had to buy a new motherboard. System temperature monitoring (tower case) is important to maintain in order to protect the components.

Collapse -
Gotcha

In reply to: Capacitors

Ohhhh. I was wondering what those were. how can one spot a burst capacitor? and speaking of motherboards, can anyone recommend a decent motherboard (2.2ghz and above) but i have a slight cash flow problem. cheers

Collapse -
Spontaneous restarts...

...are usually power related or heat related, sometimes both. PCs have thermal protection in many places. If you built the rig yourself check the thermal paste. I had a LGA775 proc go wonky on me because I didn't have one of its "legs" properly secured, another PC went to spontaneous reboots because the PSU's cooling fan was failing.

More than likely it's the PSU, PC Power & Cooling (www.pcpowerandcooling.com ) or Antec are excellent, I'm using a Zalman low-noise unit. Rule of thumb: If the PSU came with the case, pull it out & keep it for a spare, get a real one for your rig. Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.