General discussion

pc issuses

hi all,
ok i have got a serious problem. i got a 80GB 7200 RPM Samsung harddrive just last week. The problem is that everytime I install XP (3 times and counting) within a day or 2 my computer continually sticks and freezes. It has a harddrive cooler attached to it. I have tried defragmenting the drive but that doesnt help.
Secondly i have some heat issues with my computer to point that i had to open the case and leave it open and put a fan to blow on it continually else it shuts off. What can i do about that?
And the third thing is that i notice my USB ports all four of them randomly stop working until i restart my computer. What do i do?
Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: pc issuses
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: pc issuses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
is your hard drive sata?

if its sata, you will have to install drivers. you will have to format it. if your computer is running so hot that you have to leave the case open, make sure your heat sink is securely attached to ur cpu. apply new thermal compound if necessary.

your cpu might be causing it to not properly install also.

konny

- Collapse -
Solve the heat problem first.

We need to know a lot about your hardware configuration, CPU type, where the HSF came from, location of fans and the direction they move the air.

Now if this is a proprietary type computer such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, please provide a link to the vendors website to the exact model.

- Collapse -
it is

ok well i built up my computer. the heat problem is a new thing though cuz i got a new computer desk and now my computer is close to the ground and against the wall. could that be the cause?
My fans well - the power supply pulls air out, my cpu fans pulls air in and my hard drive fan pulls air in. thanks so much for the help so far.

CNET Forums